• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Has anyone ever heard of dragons eating each other?

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My friend took in a beardie named Doja. Such a sweet female girl...She loves to be held and stuff. But I just found out that she had another tank mate that was the same size, and she ate him. Is this common? Just wondering if this is something that happens often or not. She is so people friendly, but they have an iguana also, and the beardie doesn't do what everyone else has mentioned (i.e. stomp feet and stuff I think her beard does darken somewhat), but you can tell she is trying to get to the other lizard...It's not like normal aggression that I've seen in animals...She acts like how my cat acts when she sees birds outside, just scratching at the glass trying 2 find a way in...

Is this just an uncommon phenomenon or something that happens more then we think?

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
my friend's young beardie ate another beardie of the same size. her back legs are even paralyzed and managed to eat her tank mate

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
eating another dragon is not uncommon. This is why we always say it is best to not house them together.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, as Sandra stated, it is not uncommon. Very territorial creatures.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm glad I asked because the info I found on the net stated that they are social creatures that you can keep in small groups. IDK maybe that was her way of breaking up with him xD

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That statement is deceiving. They are social, but not with each other. I know, a contradiction. They love human interaction - that is why it is best to have your dragon in a high traffic area so they can watch and feel part of the family. But when it comes to other dragons, they are territorial. They only become social to mate.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
But I just found out that she had another tank mate that was the same size, and she ate him. Is this common?

killing is not unusual. Injuring is quite common, especially during feeding frenzies as young dragons. It's not so likely that both dragons were the same size, and one consumed the other. Digestion just don't happen that quickly.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
But I just found out that she had another tank mate that was the same size, and she ate him. Is this common?

killing is not unusual. Injuring is quite common, especially during feeding frenzies as young dragons. It's not so likely that both dragons were the same size, and one consumed the other. Digestion just don't happen that quickly.

I didn't believe it either until I saw a photo of both dragons 2gether before she ate him. The guy that had her beforehand had bought them both at the same time (within a week of one another)...I'm just going to stick with one beardie I think

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I keep one of my dragons in my bedroom and one in the dining room. They don't get to see each other much and when they do it is not good. Oscar head bobs, black beards and tries to attack Ms. Piggy. It scares me to think what would happen if they were ever able to interact with each other.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Provided Ms. Piggy is MS. Piggy and not MR.......................

they'd probably do the "wild thing"

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Provided Ms. Piggy is MS. Piggy and not MR.......................

they'd probably do the "wild thing"

That's what I was thinking...LOL!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They might but Mr does not seem to interested in the "deed" with Mrs. Oscar has tried a couple of times to bit her through the glass. He can not even stand the sight of her with out getting mad, and black bearding. Then when I get him back in his viv he head bobs for a good 30 minuets.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
They might but Mr does not seem to interested in the "deed" with Mrs. Oscar has tried a couple of times to bit her through the glass. He can not even stand the sight of her with out getting mad, and black bearding. Then when I get him back in his viv he head bobs for a good 30 minuets.

That's EXACTLY what the males do before mating. If you were to get them out and put them on the floor, it's likely he'd do the same thing, except that he'd be circling her in a wide sweep. Eventually, walking around to her backside, biting her on the back of the neck, and well......you know. Seriously, what you're describing is exactly how Frodo's Dad acted with Frodo's Mom before doing the deed....and how Frodo acts when he sees Sam. Sounds very much like typical dragon behavior to me. Honestly, it seems rather violent to us, but that's how things happen.

Latest posts