• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hard tip of tail,tail rot?

Whatoofoit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please help dragon is 1+yr old got him in January had a bend in tail. Still there but tip is hard. I don't know if its been that way but the rest of the tail is flexible except the tip..hes eating and pooping fine with ubv lighting.

Attachments

• 20211225_131729.jpg
    20211225_131729.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211225_131732.jpg
    20211225_131732.jpg
  • 20211225_131740.jpg
    20211225_131740.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please help dragon is 1+yr old got him in January had a bend in tail. Still there but tip is hard. I don't know if its been that way but the rest of the tail is flexible except the tip..hes eating and pooping fine with ubv lighting.
I would watch it -- it looks like it got pinched just up from the tip and I see its black on the tip -- watch it and if that black continues to creep up the tail get some raw unpasteurized honey on it -- that will kill the infection and the end may fall off -- if you need to take pics of it so you can see if its moving up the tail -- any raw unpasteurized honey will work but Manuka works really good -- he looks a little thin --- what kind of UVB are you using a coil or a tube fixture this is extremely important -- and what is his diet ?

Whatoofoit

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would watch it -- it looks like it got pinched just up from the tip and I see its black on the tip -- watch it and if that black continues to creep up the tail get some raw unpasteurized honey on it -- that will kill the infection and the end may fall off -- if you need to take pics of it so you can see if its moving up the tail -- any raw unpasteurized honey will work but Manuka works really good -- he looks a little thin --- what kind of UVB are you using a coil or a tube fixture this is extremely important -- and what is his diet ?
Yes he is thin! It's awful I've been trying to fatten him up only thing he wants to eat is super worms.. I got him when he was a yr old and they only fed him protein, so now I'm trying to force feed him some yellow squash, super worms dusted in reticalcium and baby food butternut squash I have a 10uvb zoo med tube never used coil and 160 powersun. The basking area is about 99 degrees with digital thermometer with infared 102 on his branch. His body reads 102.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes he is thin! It's awful I've been trying to fatten him up only thing he wants to eat is super worms.. I got him when he was a yr old and they only fed him protein, so now I'm trying to force feed him some yellow squash, super worms dusted in reticalcium and baby food butternut squash I have a 10uvb zoo med tube never used coil and 160 powersun. The basking area is about 99 degrees with digital thermometer with infared 102 on his branch. His body reads 102.
Ok so the 10 uvb is what brand and bulb T 8 or T 5? Distance and placement is crucial - we are going to work on diet but I need to know about the uvb first and do you have the power sun on the screen is it unobstructed or do you have it hanging- how old is the uvb?

Whatoofoit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the 10 uvb is what brand and bulb T 8 or T 5? Distance and placement is crucial - we are going to work on diet but I need to know about the uvb first and do you have the power sun on the screen is it unobstructed or do you have it hanging- how old is the uvb?
It's a zoo med t5 placement is toward the back right above his head if he's on the branch about 4 inches from him. Powersun is on the screen. The uvb is new last month. Before that I was only using the power sun per the person it had uvb and uva so I didn't need a uvb bar but I read a lot about it in here and got one.

Attachments

• 20211225_151858.jpg
    20211225_151858.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a zoo med t5 placement is toward the back right above his head if he's on the branch about 4 inches from him. Powersun is on the screen. The uvb is new last month. Before that I was only using the power sun per the person it had uvb and uva so I didn't need a uvb bar but I read a lot about it in here and got one.
Ok so the distance for your UVB should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- here is some info on the PowerSun this comes from someone who uses them and is more experienced w/ them better than I -
The 100w should be at around 12'' above the main basking area for both models. Best not to have a mesh screen in between. If there is a mesh screen, then moving up to a higher wattage (160w I believe in both cases) and slightly raising the distance to maybe 14-16'' or so would be good. I don't have one of the higher wattage models to test though.
Now for getting him some weight on him --- NO more super worms they are treat worms only -- please get a staple feeder like dubia roaches I recommend them they are better at keeping and better nutrition www.dubiaroaches.com order large or extra large I would go w/ the large and they will grow in your tank - you can set up a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food w/ dubia dew - they will also eat fruits squashes and carrots - and sweet potato - crickets and silk worms - website for roaches and silks www.reptilianarts.com --- you can get some BSFL as a salad lure they are a great staple feeder babies really like them usually order large DO NOT dust them get a bowl like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
it will keep the BSFL in there feed as many as you want add them to the salad bowl in front of him it will get his attention - feed first thing in the morning before his staple feeder - he should be getting insects 2-3 times per week dusted w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week- start this ASAP- hes not getting any greens so he needs the vitamins - the calcium D3 I would do once a week on the insects make sure your dusting the insects not the salads reason being hes got a T 5 in the tank and I would also get some calcium / NO phosphorus and use that on the other days your feeding insects - you will haft to alternate maybe doing one day on the weekend w/ the vitamins ---here is website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would also get him some horn worms from dubia roaches they are a good hydrating worm they grow really fast so order small amounts - I have been getting smalls and they are tiny- I am having to let them grow out - last batch I got they were so small I didnt think there were any in the cup - please get him off the super worms - I am thinking he should be fatter w/ the super worms hes been getting but the lack of UVB may be a part of the issue but w/ that T 5 being in the tank now he should be brighter colors and better appetite --
BSFL www.symptonbsf.com

Whatoofoit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the distance for your UVB should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- here is some info on the PowerSun this comes from someone who uses them and is more experienced w/ them better than I -
The 100w should be at around 12'' above the main basking area for both models. Best not to have a mesh screen in between. If there is a mesh screen, then moving up to a higher wattage (160w I believe in both cases) and slightly raising the distance to maybe 14-16'' or so would be good. I don't have one of the higher wattage models to test though.
Now for getting him some weight on him --- NO more super worms they are treat worms only -- please get a staple feeder like dubia roaches I recommend them they are better at keeping and better nutrition www.dubiaroaches.com order large or extra large I would go w/ the large and they will grow in your tank - you can set up a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food w/ dubia dew - they will also eat fruits squashes and carrots - and sweet potato - crickets and silk worms - website for roaches and silks www.reptilianarts.com --- you can get some BSFL as a salad lure they are a great staple feeder babies really like them usually order large DO NOT dust them get a bowl like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
it will keep the BSFL in there feed as many as you want add them to the salad bowl in front of him it will get his attention - feed first thing in the morning before his staple feeder - he should be getting insects 2-3 times per week dusted w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week- start this ASAP- hes not getting any greens so he needs the vitamins - the calcium D3 I would do once a week on the insects make sure your dusting the insects not the salads reason being hes got a T 5 in the tank and I would also get some calcium / NO phosphorus and use that on the other days your feeding insects - you will haft to alternate maybe doing one day on the weekend w/ the vitamins ---here is website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would also get him some horn worms from dubia roaches they are a good hydrating worm they grow really fast so order small amounts - I have been getting smalls and they are tiny- I am having to let them grow out - last batch I got they were so small I didnt think there were any in the cup - please get him off the super worms - I am thinking he should be fatter w/ the super worms hes been getting but the lack of UVB may be a part of the issue but w/ that T 5 being in the tank now he should be brighter colors and better appetite --
BSFL www.symptonbsf.com
BSFL www.symptonbsf.com

Whatoofoit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for all this info and the quick reply.. I feel a little over whelmed with the vitamins there's so many different types. Which ones should I buy? Which ones do you use?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for all this info and the quick reply.. I feel a little over whelmed with the vitamins there's so many different types. Which ones should I buy? Which ones do you use?
I use this one it has just calcium in it no D3 I use this for the calcium D3

Attachments

• 1640481711289.png
    1640481711289.png
    236 KB · Views: 2
  • 1640481840181.png
    1640481840181.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts