• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling issues

Jakeelias93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I have had my beardie for a few months now and he's about ten inches long, 7-8 months old but I've noticed his willingness to let me hold him seems to be getting worse. Sometimes he hisses but I pick him up anyway, but he always tries to go exploring. Or just away from me unless I make a blanket cave for him and then he sleeps. But if I don't he doesn't really "chill" like he used to. I hold him like everyday and hand feed him some days. Hes getting more active, always looking around and running around. Is this normal or is there a way I can calm him back down?

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; and Welcome to BDF; It takes patience and lots of it.If he hisses when you try to pick him up-leave him alone and try later. If he shows his beard leave him alone. You will know when it's ok to pick him up as he will show signs of wanting to come to you. But watch his signals.They are weird little guys and know when they want to come out and play lol.But time will heal all.Just keep trying when he's calm and best of luck to you-others will be along soon to help you as well-And a little treat won't hurt either. river-7

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, sounds like your kid is going through the terrible two's lol. It can be somewhat normal that they do this around this age. I personally dont let them win the aggression war. I pick them up and let them calm down while being patient and slow with them. Not squeezing, holding them in uncomfortable positions, pestering, rubbing. etc. I simply pick them up and sit down on the couch or chair and let them calm down on there own. Sometimes this takes days, weeks, months of reconfirming your not there to harm.

Latest posts