• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling Beardies

BJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Have had my beardie for 3 months now and have always tried to feed him in a separate feed box as recommended by the pet shop, which means taking him out of his enclosure to do it. initially he was ok with this but as he has got older he does the bolt every time i try to pick him up. I see everybodys pics of them holding their beardies or with them hanging off their clothing etc., have i inadvertantly done something to freak him out or is this normal behaviour for a young beardie. My 5 year old daughter seems to have a special relationship with him though as he will sit quite still while she picks him up and puts him back into his enclosure after feeding (tries to jump out when i do it!). I am usualy wearing my work uniform which is hi-vis orange with reflector stripes, could this be scaring him??? Any advice would be appreciated :-\

BJ
P.S He has changed his name to Bluey

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, BJ. And welcome to our forum. We look forward to hearing your adventures with Bluey.

Young beardies can be quite finicky when it comes to handling. Don't give up. And feeding in a separate viv is wonderful.

Couple of things to consider -
Do you only handle him for feedings? Try taking him out to cuddle and play on ocassion.
When you go to pick him up. let him see you. Try not to do a sneak attack from behind. Gently let him see your hand and pick him up from the front. Kind of like scooping him from underneath.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sounds like you have done something to offend him and your daughter hasn't :) Try hand or tong feeding him for awhile. When he stops bolting when he sees you, start touching him. Beardies are really docile animals. You should be walking around with him on your shoulder in no time :) Just have a little patience.

Also... you don't have to feed him in another enclosure.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When I start handling new babies I tend to let them see my hand coming at them from their level, you will always get a few skitish ones, but with work it goes away.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh my. what a little rascal. i don't have much to add (as usual). just giving encouragement to keep at it. in time, he's be used to being handled. don't go about it too rough. try stroking his beard for a bit with your whole arm in front of him. and don't squeeze too tightly.

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I pick up spikey ALL the time! Sometimes I walk around the house, or hold him up to the window (Glass open and mini blinds lifted, only screen, he enjoys the fresh air. xD) and let him look around and see what's new in our garden. other times I lay on my bed with him in my hands, He seems very interested in the color green. (which is the color my walls are.)

For cuddling, I pick him up and give him a soft hug. other times I kiss him on the back of the head or lips. xDD Funny, sometimes, he licks his lips after. "Ohmai, what has dis hooman left on mah mouth?"

pinkynbrain

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
is it wise to mine out while they r so young and so quick? im worried they will jump because brain has jumped out of my hand before

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, you were wise in taking them out at a young age. That is how they will become accustomed to being handled. Keep at it. Some beardies become used to being handled and love it. Others like to be left alone.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there. How goes it with handling your bearded dragon?

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yes, i'm curious too. has he adapted to having you handle him?

i say, keep trying. don't give up. when you first get a beardie, they think you are a predator. but with patience and endurance, he'll be curling up next to you.

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Little Spike is 4 months and sometimes will avoid me for 15 to 30 seconds when I try to pick him up. When are you picking him up? After meals is a not advisable, and I would assume when they are sleeping.

Keep at it like the others say, the beardie will come along just like mine did.

Latest posts