• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling Bearded Dragons

Rocco2010

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I got my bearded dragon about a month ago, his name is Rocco and I think he's a juvenile. He was given to me by a friend who got him at a Pet store. At first he was very friendly and let me pet and pick him up, (this lasted about a week to a week and half). Since then he'll still let me pet him, but if I try to pick him up and runs away and won't let me near him. Any clues as to why he won't let me pick him up? Or things to try to help him not want to run away from me?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I'm new to this too but here's what I do with mine. At first he was really calm because of relocation stress but now hes more hyper. I've had him for 3 month and he still runs sometimes when I pick him up. I always come from the front so he knows I'm there and I pet him first. Then I usually just scoop him up chin to belly and bring him out of the tank with two hands. While hes getting used to the contact with me I let him roam around on my bed while I'm laying there. Now hes more calm and used to seeing me. Idk if this helps but it just takes time.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great advice from SoleSky. Slow and steady is the key when going to pick up your dragon.

At times Bernie was fine with it and other times, he wanted no parts of it. It could be a number of things. One, if they are basking, they may want to stay there and soak up some heat and UV light.

They may not be in the mood to be handled. Some dragons just don't like it.

Just keep at it, make sure you are not picking them too soon after eating or too close to mealtime. Close to lights out tends to be a good time for me. They are tired and will snuggle up to you. Cute as can be.

kickside

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My dragon is the same. I think he is shy because the people who had him before didn't show him enough love. Whenever I give him food he seems to let me handle him without running away:)

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
XD I guess Loki is the exception to this rule, haha. Whenever I open his tank, he jumps at me and clings to my arm and refuses to let go until I take him out of the tank so he can roam around my room, licking all the furniture.

kickside

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How awesome that your dragon XD does that:)
I thought it was wierd that my dragon licked everything when I let it roam. I guess not:)

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Haha BeeGee is the same way especially when I pet his chin he always likes to taste my finger, what a weirdddoooo!

Rocco2010

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'll keep trying. Do you think that maybe its because he's young that he doesn't like being held? He also tries to climb the walls and follows his reflection a lot, I think he's got a lot of energy. :)

Latest posts