• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hammocks

suzy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What does everybody think of hammocks for basking areas. I think they are so cool but are they really ok for them? I read some stuff about their nails getting caught and injuries occurring. I was going to make my own with nonstick nonslip shelf liner. I plan on using the med density kind and sewing an edge around it and hanging it in plastic hooks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400863462.081295.jpg
. Any opinions?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's a great idea! Just make sure it will hold the beardies weight and reinforce the liner where it meets the plastic hooks so that it doesn't rip.

I have hammocks for mine and Dexter LOVES hers. It ripped a few months back where it attaches to the suction cup so I just sewed it around the cup with some plastic jewelry thread. We have an ongoing discussion in our house about the danger of the hammock. I think we should get rid of it because Dexter is hurting her nails on something, we just don't know what and the hammock seems to me to be the most likely culprit. My boyfriend wants to keep it in because she LOVES it and is much more active and happy when it's in her tank. It also brings her closer to her UVB. So for now we still have it in but we covered it with a soft cloth so that her nails won't get stuck in the holes.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are safer alternatives. You can purchase one on etsy.com and all you need is the suction cups. I'm not able to get one until next month or so.

suzy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Those are so nice. I feel they would poop on the fabric and it would need to be washed all the time. Maybe if you had a few of them you could replace when needed. I just thought the mat stuff would wash easier but I am worried about the nails

Latest posts