• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Half the crickets are dead?

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
How come every time I order 250 crickets off of amazon, half of them are dead? I've only done it twice, and a good portion of them are dead when I open the box. I just dump them all in the cricket tank, (10 gallon) and I can see them all dead down there. Now granted, many of them are alive. But if they're going to be half dead, they need to charge half the price?

Is it just because its winter time?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, if they are getting cold during transit they will die. If you are buying 1" or the largest size you may want to go down to 1/2". Many places will send out expired breeders that have very little life left.

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
So this is something that only happens in the winter? I only order the half inch ones. Has anyone had this happen in the other non-cold months?

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
Well it looks like I'm buying my crickets from PetSmart all winter. At least they're all alive.

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
does the shipper put heat packs in the box with your crickets? nearest petsmart to me sells crickets at 12 cents ea, thats 4x the price of ghanns and most likely about the same for everywhere else.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I found a local closed forum facebook page and joined. Talked to two ppl close by who breed them bought 50 just today for under ten bucks. They are medium sized nymphs.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am actually getting ready to start a roach colony and she has been very helpful.

Chrisw

Hatchling Dragon
How come every time I order 250 crickets off of amazon, half of them are dead? I've only done it twice, and a good portion of them are dead when I open the box. I just dump them all in the cricket tank, (10 gallon) and I can see them all dead down there. Now granted, many of them are alive. But if they're going to be half dead, they need to charge half the price?

Is it just because its winter time?
Half die on transition. Crickets are very delicate. This always happens to my boxes too. They are all shipped alive, but half come dead. Could be from rough handling the box, not enough food, crickets eating one another because they are in such a small space, and etc...

Best to just breed roaches

Latest posts