• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Habitat Critique

basedonfact

Hatchling Dragon
So, I tried to do plenty of research before setting up my new beardies habitat; Now it's almost done (at least for a few months until he's big enough for a big habitat!) and I wanted to know if everything looks ok or it needs anything!

Notes:
There is a long UVB/UVA bulb spanning most of the length of the habitat, it is just out of the frame of the picture. (Like my awesome tin foil reflector in his basking light? :p)

The spot between the tile is paper towel; I'm going to put repti-carpet in, just didn't get it yet!

There are not normally crickets everywhere; I am still figuring out his eating habits, and I fed him too soon after waking up and he's not hungry yet. Next time I'll give him a good hour to warm up!

The thermo/hydro on the pot will be moved once I'm confident that my temps are stable and where they need to be, and then he can lay there too. I just wanted it as close to the basking spot as I could get it for now.

ZWyLzZq.jpg

Opinions appreciated! Preferably before I make my trip to go buy repti-carpet. I originally was going to use the paper towel, but it's getting torn up so fast that I decided against it.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good looking viv. The only two things I could see that wouldn't do is the water bowl. Beardies seldom drink standing water and water raises the humidity in the tank, which you don't need and the thermometer on the glass isn't that good. It only measures what's on the glass. I'd recommend a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe.

Beardies get water from their greens and crickets, and baths.

And I almost couldn't see the tyke. He really blends in with his log. :) I like the foil idea with the heat lamp. (I don't need foil over my lamp because the light's reflected downwards via a reflective clamp lamp you can find at walmart.

Just make sure that you remove the crickets before bed because the basking log gives them a place to hide.

basedonfact

Hatchling Dragon
Noella, the one on the glass isn't even intentional, it was there from when the tank used to be for my hermit crabs! :p I actually have a digital surface thermometer (the kind with a laser) that I've been using to check several areas a few times a day, with the one staying in the basking spot. The bowl I was 'eh' about; However, in the two month this guy was in the ER room at my work, he ONLY pooped in a water dish. I decided to keep it in there for now to help make the changeover easier. :) I hope to get rid of the water dish in a few weeks time if I can get him to agree to poop NOT in a water dish! Thanks for the comments! :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A BDs enclosure should be secure, meaning that the top should not be open, should be covered by a screen to keep your BD inside, unable to escape. BDs are proficient jumpers & extremely accomplished escape artists. You may come home to an empty enclosure with no idea where it is hiding in the house, and they can get into some really good tiny spots making them difficult to find. Providing of course, that someone hasn't accidentally stepped on them first, or that it wasn't injured by the jump to the floor.

If you happen to have other furry pets, such as, but not limited to, a Cat or Dog, a screen is necessary to keep them out also.

I am not a a fan of fake plants, any plants for that matter, which is solely for our viewing benefit & eye-candy. Serves absolutely no benefit to the BD & poses a high impaction risk, should a piece come loose or be pulled off & ingested.

Good Luck

basedonfact

Hatchling Dragon
I didn't know they were such good escape artists! I've certainly never seen any try, and haven't even seen him really move quickly since I've gotten him. I'll be sure to get him a lid :)

Latest posts