• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gut loading

amygeee

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i have been reading up on my baby beardies diet,
and i came across something called "gut loading" your crickets.
like, giving them certain foods so they are more nutritious for your lizard.
andbody do this? if so, what are things i can put in my cricket container
to "gut load"?

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi i feed my crickets what i feed my dragon bok choi,endive and butternut squash, I also sprikle the gutload powder i get free with the crickets ontop of there veggies. I replace the veggies every second or third day.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i feed all my live feeders a "pro" gutload that i purchase from pro geckos. It has always worked well for me with my roaches, crickets, and supers.

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
amygeee said:
and i came across something called "gut loading" your crickets.
like, giving them certain foods so they are more nutritious for your lizard.
andbody do this? if so, what are things i can put in my cricket container
to "gut load"?
sorry about the delay of this reply -- you can buy commercial cricket gutload at almost any pet store -- the brand i'm using now is Zilla -- i fill a mayo bottle lid with it and leave it in the cricket cage -- as was previously suggested i also leave the bok choy stalks or celery -- also, a piece of orange or potato is a good source of moisture [keeps them alive longer] -- the gutload has never molded on me, but since the crickets do sh*t in it, it should be emptied and refilled occasionally, whereas the fresh stuff should be changed every other day.
athena

BigShaun

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is what I do to gut load my crickets and have in the past, I get baby rice cereal and some greens then use oranges or potato for liquid, after receiving my crickets VIA UPS, I put them in the holding and let them in there for 24 hours before feeding them to my dragons, sometimes I sprinkle the greens with the vitamins just a sugjestion

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that's not a bad price. including shipping?

I make my own gutload, but there i times I just don't have the time

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah thats including shipping its like 22 or 23
i dont really have the time to make my own so its way easier for me to pony up some coin to buy it lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Corrine

Give me a day and i'll send or post the recipe. It might be a bit much for one person to make, but the ingredients can be divided to make more sense for what you keep. It's actually pretty simple. And its always seemed to feed my bugs well.

When i make bug chow, I make like 25 lbs. Most people don't need to keep that much because of the possibilities it stands to attract. I recommend that if you do decide to make your own, keep it in an airtight container.

Latest posts