• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gut Loading?

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, so I got my lovely roaches last Friday.

I've been giving them oranges, their roach chow, collard greens and butternut squash. Now I've read that they should be gut loaded two days before feeding, but how do I know that the roaches I feed Rami are the ones that ate their food?

syzygy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm so glad there is somebody here that overthinks stuff more than I do....welcome! :)

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. I feed my roach colony every other day and they swarm new food immediately so I'm pretty confident they all eat. I've read that roaches can hold their gut loaded goodness for 72 hours too so unless you are starving your roaches I doubt it will be an issue.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm so glad there is somebody here that overthinks stuff more than I do....welcome! :)

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. I feed my roach colony every other day and they swarm new food immediately so I'm pretty confident they all eat. I've read that roaches can hold their gut loaded goodness for 72 hours too so unless you are starving your roaches I doubt it will be an issue.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] well Rami was expensive, and the other one I want is even more so I don't want to kill or depreive them of anything. I can tell you everything you need to know about keeping and raising parrots and breeding canaries. But reptiles no. He's my first so I'm a bit protective lol [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

I keep food in my bins 24/7 for the bugs. Maybe mine aren't as Hungry cause they don't swarm lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Also, Rami had 8 roaches this morning and about 18 this afternoon. Is that too much???! I was shocked he ate so much!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes roaches maintain the food you offer for 72 hours in their systems so as long as you feed good items that you would also feed your dragons they will be nicely gutloaded.. So provide them dry chow (you can make your own) water crystals, veggies/stems from your greens daily and just make sure you replace the produce when dry or getting mold on it.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes roaches maintain the food you offer for 72 hours in their systems so as long as you feed good items that you would also feed your dragons they will be nicely gutloaded.. So provide them dry chow (you can make your own) water crystals, veggies/stems from your greens daily and just make sure you replace the produce when dry or getting mold on it.
Yeah they came with their own chow that I'm using for now. Got a recipe off YouTube today to make my own later on. They have water crystals and veggies and orange slices.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a pac man frog that loves roaches and she will eat 12 extra large ones (I don't care what Hdrydr31 says, they are HUGE, LOL!) and want more. As far as what you feed them, look at the list of foods that are safe for dragons to eat. Citrus fruits are a seldom thing to use. So I wouldn't feed oranges to your feeders very often. People do use oranges for their dubia but usually for the breeders only. I feed mine the stems and ends from the greens I make for my dragons so nothing goes to waste.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a pac man frog that loves roaches and she will eat 12 extra large ones (I don't care what Hdrydr31 says, they are HUGE, LOL!) and want more. As far as what you feed them, look at the list of foods that are safe for dragons to eat. Citrus fruits are a seldom thing to use. So I wouldn't feed oranges to your feeders very often. People do use oranges for their dubia but usually for the breeders only. I feed mine the stems and ends from the greens I make for my dragons so nothing goes to waste.

LOL! I just worry, you guys know me . Didn't know that about oranges, I saw videos of people feeding oranges. I'll take them out tonight!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I used oranges too when I first got dubia. I thought that was the thing to do. Now I use the greens and water crystals for hydration along with roach chow that I got from dubia roaches.com.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep I only feed my breeder tub of dubia the oranges..

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
When I gutload feeders, I like to use carrots, or celery for water sources and I use Mazuri Better bug gutload. And I occasionally throw in veggie / fruit scraps from cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah I have the water crystals in a little kid. And then I throw the same salad I am trying to get Rami to eat [emoji28]

Latest posts