• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gulping

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's still not eating on her own however when we offered her mashed up food via syringe last night she did lick that up which is great. So we will just mash the pumpkin up and offer it this way as well. It's just not like my fat woman to refuse insects for this long :/

I do think you guys were right and it is impaction though. This is day 3 of no poop and considering she's an everyday pooper it's not normal for her. Thank you for the advice, we went ahead and gave her olive oil tonight and we will go out and grab the pumpkin tomorrow. Im just praying after she poops she will go back to eating normally. If not it looks like another vet visit will be in her near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's still not eating on her own however when we offered her mashed up food via syringe last night she did lick that up which is great. So we will just mash the pumpkin up and offer it this way as well. It's just not like my fat woman to refuse insects for this long :/

I do think you guys were right and it is impaction though. This is day 3 of no poop and considering she's an everyday pooper it's not normal for her. Thank you for the advice, we went ahead and gave her olive oil tonight and we will go out and grab the pumpkin tomorrow. Im just praying after she poops she will go back to eating normally. If not it looks like another vet visit will be in her near future

I just used pure pumpkin that you can get in the can it's a mushy form so you can get it into a syringe.. just make sure it's the 100% pure not the other one in the can

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you Hdrydr. We will make sure it's 100%.
I'm starting to become more and more worried. Is it normal for them to refuse food if they are impacted?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Hdrydr. We will make sure it's 100%.
I'm starting to become more and more worried. Is it normal for them to refuse food if they are impacted?

yes they are like us if your really constipated the last thing you want to do is add to the mass .... Their bodies are soo effecient in breaking down their waste and moisture.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you doing gentle massage to her belly and slightly warmer water than normally? My Izzy went 16 days and patsys gal went 19

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That makes me feel much better. Her eyes have been sunken in over the past few days as well, like she's dehydrated. She has been drinking water like she's never had a drink before. Hopefully between all of the water, olive oil, warm soaks and the pumpkin, she will poop soon and her little tummy will feel better :/

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That makes me feel much better. Her eyes have been sunken in over the past few days as well, like she's dehydrated. She has been drinking water like she's never had a drink before. Hopefully between all of the water, olive oil, warm soaks and the pumpkin, she will poop soon and her little tummy will feel better :/

I think patsy has given prunes not sure if that's baby prune food or what but I know that's an option... Glad that she's drinking water! you doing probiotics too right?

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
The past few days her humidity has been 40%. I'm not sure if this gauge is accurate though to be honest. We need to invest in a good one and if anyone has a link please share.

Anyways, I offered her roaches tonight when I got off of work she didn't even look at them so I mixed up some probiotic, grub pie, water, calcium, multivitamins, and olive oil and syringe fed her. She willingly took the food, 2 syringes full then decided to cage dance on the outside of her tank to go back to her log.

Rae and I are super worried as you all probably can tell she is our baby. If anyone has any other advice please let us know. Thanks guys.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, we began doing them once a week after her parasite treatment but now that this is going on we are back to probiotics once a day. I have heard many suggest baby food prunes, we will try out the pumpkin and maybe pick up a can of that as well.

I'm currently out of town for school until tomorrow. But Maddie gave her a syringe full of water, bee pollen, vitamins, calcium, dandelion leaf powder, probiotic and a pinch of grub pie. She licked it all up on her own so that's a little reassuring

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The past few days her humidity has been 40%. I'm not sure if this gauge is accurate though to be honest. We need to invest in a good one and if anyone has a link please share.

Anyways, I offered her roaches tonight when I got off of work she didn't even look at them so I mixed up some probiotic, grub pie, water, calcium, multivitamins, and olive oil and syringe fed her. She willingly took the food, 2 syringes full then decided to cage dance on the outside of her tank to go back to her log.

Rae and I are super worried as you all probably can tell she is our baby. If anyone has any other advice please let us know. Thanks guys.

40 isn't that bad to be honest.. I know many of us use the guage from walmart think it's acurite (it's in the general info thread)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She finally pooped today yaaay! I do think there is more to be passed since it wasn't a giant poop like I expected it to be. So we will continue with the probiotics, pumpkin, and warm soaks.

My question now is about her urate. Half of it was white and normal while the other half was a rusty color. Am I correct in assuming this could mean she needs more water? She's been drinking an unusually large amount of water lately so I can't understand how she could possibly still be dehydrated

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yay for poop! Rusty could also be too much calcium. I know when Dolly finished her Panacur and I finally got a poop there was a nice white urate and then a rusty colored one. I sent the picture to Dr. Dragon's for advice since they did the fecal, and they said it was too much calcium. But I also know that an orange tint can mean dehydration.

I did use baby food prunes and a few drops of mineral oil as a last resort for Dolly before she went.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you Patsy, we will lighten up on the calcium a little and see if this improves things. We also got her a couple of hornworms to give her some extra moisture.

Her appetite also came back once she finally pooped. So it looks like you guys were exactly right and it was due to impaction. You guys are awesome :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Unfortunately she is back to not eating :/ it's been about 2-3days. She will nibble on her salad from time to time (only like a bite or two) and of course she goes crazy for superworms (which she's not getting until she eats Dubias again)

Here's my question, do you guys think it's possible for her to be going through a sort of parcel brumation? The reason I ask is because she's not eating, barely pooping, but also not losing any weight. She still basks and seems healthy, but she is going to sleep much much earlier than usual. A few hours before her light goes out she tunnels under her paper towel substrate and is knocked out.

I know she's too young for full blown brumation but is it possible for her to be experiencing some symptoms?

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Her lights go out at 1am but for the past month she's been dozing off around 9pm, 4 hours before lights out! And she will also doze off throughout the day too. She doesn't have much energy. When she wakes up you can tell she's pissed and wants to go back to sleep. We have to physically move her to her basking log or she will lay on the floor all day. She looks healthy like Rae said, she's parasite free, just lethargic not pooping as often and doesn't want food.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It sounds like she may be slowing down for the season. Mushu is only 6 or so months old, and even he is going to sleep earlier. I've got his lights on from 8am to 7:30 pm for the winter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It sounds like she may be slowing down for the season. Mushu is only 6 or so months old, and even he is going to sleep earlier. I've got his lights on from 8am to 7:30 pm for the winter.

Thank you Eavlynn! That makes me feel so much better. I read about "parcel brumation behavior" in younger dragons but I wanted to hear from you guys to make sure. It's good to know we aren't alone :)

Would you recommend that we change her day/night schedule for the winter? Right now her lights cut on at 12am and off at 1am. I know that's a weird schedule but we aren't morning people [emoji23]

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I put my kids on timers so that I could sleep in and not have to worry about messing up their day/night schedules haha. If you do adjust it, it's best to do it in 30 minute increments each week, that way it's a nice, easy transition.

I think another thing that's throwing my kids off is the recent drop in temps. It dropped 30 degrees on one day here! I even saw snow flurries! I'm so upset about that, I hate winter. But the house is cooler than usual, and I think they're picking up on that, too.

Latest posts