• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GUESS WHAT! and help..?

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
I have finally been informed that my beardie will arrive in 2 weeks :D

So, planning to handle him as much as i can, so im keeping him in my room instead of my animals room.

also im planning to give him two outdoor enclosures[or one] in case one of them might give him severe sunburns while he's basking since my country doesnt have plenty of clouds and heat can reach up to
86 fahrenheit / 30C,
104fahrenheit /40C,
and sometimes,
122fahrenheit / 50C.

although i can keep him permanently outdoor or in my outdoor pets room, i might not be able to check on him as often since my school is starting after a week and his arrival wont give me time to chill with the beardie.

so the thing is, im worried about humidity and the indoor enclosure temp.

HEAT:
I normally open the AC at night and the room gets "really" Cold.
since many of you have recommended a Tank instead of a sterilite container.
I dont know if the tank will insulate the outside coldness or let it in and freeze the beardie?
i already bought a heat lamp, but im sure i cant keep a light on all night so the beardie can sleep, right?
many have said not to use a heat mat since it would burn the critter, so how to keep it warm at night?

HUMIDITY:
From what i read, people recommend to add more water plates to increase the humidity, put a moist substrate?, and mist the tank.
i have researched about himidity but i cant seem to understand how HIGH or LOW should the humidity be?
very worried that the humidity might make the dragon starving for oxygen[but i read that reptiles dont need much oxygen like we humans do] correct me if im wrong.

any suggestions?

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Bearded Dragons come from an arid climate and will get very sick in a humid environment. Not sure where you read they need humidity. They also don't need any water sources in the cage. They get their water from the food they eat.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just to add, if your night ambient room temps do not drop below the mid to low 60s F, night heat is not necessary or even wanted. BDs should be allowed to cool down at night, slows their metabolism down for a good night's sleep. Night lights of any color will bother most BD's sleep, so they should not have any light source at all throughout the night. Should your ambient room temps drop below this temperature & night heat be absolutely necessary, then a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) with an inline dimmer or thermostat, set just high enough to take the edge off, without heating the enclosure too much at night.

This is a Ceramic Heat Emitter, heat with no light emitted ...
CHE003.jpg

Ideally, humidity should be in the vicinity of 10%-30%, but many of us live in climates where the humidity is much higher, with not much we can do to lower it. Because very few of us live in a Desert Climates, most of us try to keep the humidity down, not raise it. Mine have been doing very well for over a decade, with the humidity being anywhere between 30%-70+% here, depending on the seasonal weather. If the changes are not sudden, they adapt very well.

Glad to hear that your BD is arriving soon. I know you have said that you want to handle it as much as possible, but please allow it a week to 10 days acclimation period, once it arrives to its new home. During this time, handling should be kept minimal, to maintenance only, to allow for as stress free a transition as possible. Your patience will be rewarded with a healthier, happier BD.

Good Luck

Latest posts