• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Growth?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OKAAAY so whoever read my other post about why my beardies are so small, I took this into consideration......

When I got my 2 beardies from this breeder, she told me to feed them 2-3 crickets a day. I was an inexperienced owner at the time, as they were my first beardies. So, I took what she said, and applied it. So for the month I had them (before I talked to someone who KNEW things about beardies), I've been giving them just that. They were so inactive and whatnot. Anyway, could this be the reason why they haven't been growing rapidly like they should have been?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
So for the month I had them (before I talked to someone who KNEW things about beardies), I've been giving them just that. They were so inactive and whatnot. Anyway, could this be the reason why they haven't been growing rapidly like they should have been?

How are they doing now and what exactly are the husbandry practices you have been told to apply?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well she told me about that 2-3 crickets a day, and I think she told me to use the infared light. And also, me being stupid to listen to somebody, told me that I can use a plain household bulb. But now, they are doing FANTASTIC! Since I talked to this reptile owner, he told me everything I need to know about bearded dragons, and it dramatically changed the behavior of my beardies. Because, they used to always cuddle up with each other and hide, and pretty much never come out. And they were always cold to the stomach. But now, they are suuuper active, eating like crazy, loving to bask, always nice and warm, etc etc!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lack of food coupled with small viv and bad lighting could very well be the reason for lack of growth. I'm glad you were steered in the right direction. Babies should be VERY active. And it sounds like yours have become just that.

Keep an eye on them. They should start to shed, which indicates they are growing!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They have started to shed! Bit by bit. :) But, from the bad info I got from that lady, did I do any permanent growth damage? Like, will they still grow to the expected size?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its possible they will and its possible they wont. Its going to dependon how long their setup waslike that, how old they are, and how healthy their line is

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
They have started to shed! Bit by bit. :) But, from the bad info I got from that lady, did I do any permanent growth damage? Like, will they still grow to the expected size?

Remind me how long you have had them and how old they were. I think your chances are pretty good that they can catch up. But they may be a tad smaller than a full size dragon....

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
heres a size chart from one of my beardie books
1 month= 10 - 15 cm (4 - 6 inch)
3 months= 15 - 15 cm (6 - 10 inches)
6 months= 18 - 38 cm (7 - 15 inches)
9 months= 23 - 40 cm (9 - 16 inches)
12 months= 30 - 50 cm (12 - 20 inches)
18 months= 38 - 60 cm (15 - 24 inches)
this is just a average size chart to age as everything grows at different rates hope it of some use to you
paul

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
beardie_love said:

Remind me how long you have had them and how old they were. I think your chances are pretty good that they can catch up. But they may be a tad smaller than a full size dragon....

I've had them since about mid November, and they were supposedly '2 months' old. But that guy I went to for info said they can't be as old as they 'are'. He said this a little over a month ago when I brought my little ones to him. So I'm kinda confused? I hope they still grow big..

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
egg 80 said:
heres a size chart from one of my beardie books
1 month= 10 - 15 cm (4 - 6 inch)
3 months= 15 - 15 cm (6 - 10 inches)
6 months= 18 - 38 cm (7 - 15 inches)
9 months= 23 - 40 cm (9 - 16 inches)
12 months= 30 - 50 cm (12 - 20 inches)
18 months= 38 - 60 cm (15 - 24 inches)
this is just a average size chart to age as everything grows at different rates hope it of some use to you
paul

Wow, compared to this, if mine are actually '5 months old' now, my dragons seem pretty average? :S

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that's a fairly standard chart, and a good resource. if they're slightly over or under don't worry. it is just a visual.

how long are they now?

Latest posts