• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Growing your greens?

Koda

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I thought of trying to grow my own greens for my future beardie so I could save a little money on his food expenses. However it seems I have a brown thumb and managed to kill my collards, turnips, and mustard greens in just 2.5 weeks.
Has anyone else had any success with growing your own greens? Would it be worth my trouble to try again?

If only water wisteria and frogbit was good for food, they're taking over my betta aquariums haha.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Koda....Mustard,Collard and Turnip Greens are usuually one of the easiest crops to grow..they are cool weather crops and I have grown tons of them over the years. However, if you are planning to just grow them for a single dragon then I would suggest buying them...all of those crops produce large amounts but once harvested they don't stay fresh but for a few days in the frig so you would be having to either throw the majority that you produce out or freeze them. All of those greens can be found at most grocers usually for a couple of bucks or less by the bunch so therefor not a great expense and they are delivered fresh to grocery store multiple times a week year round in most places I know of. I think that for the amount of work involved that unless you dont live near a grocery store or unless you have multiple critters that would eat them or unless you yourself love them and plan on eating a lot of them then growing your own is not really that feasible or economic.
Better idea would be to raise and breed your own live feeder insects which can save you a great deal of money and then just buy your "salad" greens fresh as you need.
Just my opinion:)
Enjoy your Evening!!

Koda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks, I was already planning on raising/breeding dubia, but was just thinking I could try doing a little more. I hadn't noticed how inexpensive the greens were (I don't do the grocery shopping for the house). Today I stopped by a grocery store and looked at the collards and they sell it in huge bunches 0.o I think even buying it I'd have to put some in my own diet to avoid throwing out a lot.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Koda...take it from a pure Southern Louisiana Cajun...adding Collards to your own diet can only lead to a very happy tummy...throw in a slab of cornbread and some purple-hull peas to go along with those Collards and you have yourself a meal that is very close to a true religious experience...lol:D
Enjoy Your Weekend!

Latest posts