• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Growing Mature or reaching brumation?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When Cleo started going nutty it was because she was holding eggs... just sayin. Could even be an "I want to breed" reaction. A year is old enough, though not always great to start that early.

Hmm. I searched youtube and watched someone named reptikent doing a tutorial on how to tell if a beardie's getting ready to lay eggs. I felt around, gently, and no eggs feeling. Unless the egg bumps stay on the sides where the spikes are nearest her tail. I'm going to get play sand today and fill up a dig box. Should I moisten the sand in the dig box or leave it dry? Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie had the same symptoms. I finally s topped worrying and let him be. He is now brumating for the last two weeks and he is less than one year.... Very strange.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does sound strange. Mine's not brumating fully. I took her out the other day and she snuggled up to me to take a nap. Then she woke up a few minutes later.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. I searched youtube and watched someone named reptikent doing a tutorial on how to tell if a beardie's getting ready to lay eggs. I felt around, gently, and no eggs feeling. Unless the egg bumps stay on the sides where the spikes are nearest her tail. I'm going to get play sand today and fill up a dig box. Should I moisten the sand in the dig box or leave it dry? Better to be safe than sorry. :)
The bumps are all over the abdomen? (not sure if that's the right word for a BD) area but are especially noticeable on the sides near the spikes. Feel like small little squishy balls, sometimes they're hard to notice. Cass was so fluffy I didn't notice until late in the game. Sometimes if you feel something it could be what they're in the process of digesting if it's near that area, but doesn't sound like what you're feeling is. Yes, you should moisten it. They require it to be moist to dig a cave and have it stick.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Not really into breeding her. It could be 'beardie puberty', but she did the same thing last year too. And she wasn't old enough to lay eggs then.

Now, is there other signs like pink urates? I've heard there's pink urates involved if she's getting ready to lay eggs. Hers is still white.
I haven't noticed any pink urates from either of my bd's that have lain.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bumps are all over the abdomen? (not sure if that's the right word for a BD) area but are especially noticeable on the sides near the spikes. Feel like small little squishy balls, sometimes they're hard to notice. Cass was so fluffy I didn't notice until late in the game. Sometimes if you feel something it could be what they're in the process of digesting if it's near that area, but doesn't sound like what you're feeling is. Yes, you should moisten it. They require it to be moist to dig a cave and have it stick.

She's not fluffy or showing any weight gain yet. She weighed in a pound two months ago.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven't noticed any pink urates from either of my bd's that have lain.

Then someone else doesn't know what they're talking about. (Isn't pink the sign of blood and something wrong? I know that if there's red in ours there's something wrong like an ulcer or cancer.)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I wonder if any of the other people who have had dragons lay could let us know if they've experienced pink urates with gravid females?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First time I have heard anything about pink Urates from Gravid Females :confused: as a sign, too.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First time I have heard anything about pink Urates from Gravid Females :confused: as a sign, too.

Hmm. It makes me wonder if it's true because someone else that's (not on here) said their beardie had pink urates before laying eggs. It just has me wondering how many times that beardie laid eggs.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. It makes me wonder if it's true because someone else that's (not on here) said their beardie had pink urates before laying eggs. It just has me wondering how many times that beardie laid eggs.
More internet 'Bunk' ... In all the times that mine have laid, both fertile & infertile eggs, not once did I see any of them experience pink Urates. It may have happened while the BD they were talking about was Gravid, but I am almost sure that it would have been for other reasons than being gravid.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I contacted someone who works from a zoo and asked about pink urates. They said that it's hormone related and that most females will have a 'pink urate'. Hmm. Maybe it depends on the bearded dragon.

Latest posts