• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grey scales? [Slight bleeding]

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Within the 1+ year I’ve had my beardie, Stubby, this is the first issue that has come up like this and I’m not sure what the reason is. Stubby has had grey splotches on his back for a few weeks, I let it be for a bit before making an appointment in case it was shed but it has made no progress. After a light touch one of the areas began to bleed slightly. I am not sure if this is fungus, rot or an infection. I have scheduled a vet appointment but would like some knowledgable opinions beforehand! (I have attached a picture of his back and belly.)
Thank you.

Attachments

• D585AECF-5074-41E2-8155-86FD7BA91F5E.jpeg
    D585AECF-5074-41E2-8155-86FD7BA91F5E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • F8CA1ADF-D680-43EE-8EEB-63FAE2D815EE.jpeg
    F8CA1ADF-D680-43EE-8EEB-63FAE2D815EE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 902E3C9C-704E-4EE7-B2FF-4570C9D62ED8.jpeg
    902E3C9C-704E-4EE7-B2FF-4570C9D62ED8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Within the 1+ year I’ve had my beardie, Stubby, this is the first issue that has come up like this and I’m not sure what the reason is. Stubby has had grey splotches on his back for a few weeks, I let it be for a bit before making an appointment in case it was shed but it has made no progress. After a light touch one of the areas began to bleed slightly. I am not sure if this is fungus, rot or an infection. I have scheduled a vet appointment but would like some knowledgable opinions beforehand! (I have attached a picture of his back and belly.)
Thank you.
This is shed--- please get some raw filtered honey on the ones that are bleeding -- it will promote healing and stop infection -- please NO crickets in the tank if feeding them -- let the shed do its thing-- what kind of UVB are you using? What is the humidity in the tank and how are you getting the reading? Digital probe hygrometers are the best and most accurate--

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is shed--- please get some raw filtered honey on the ones that are bleeding -- it will promote healing and stop infection -- please NO crickets in the tank if feeding them -- let the shed do its thing-- what kind of UVB are you using? What is the humidity in the tank and how are you getting the reading? Digital probe hygrometers are the best and most accurate--
Thank you for the advice, I put some raw filtered honey on the bleed spot. He eats dubia and I hand feed him so no worries about that. His uvb is a 34” 10.0 T5 UVB (linear). His usual humidity is around 30% sometimes under, I use a digital humidity/temp gauge from Zoo Med

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the advice, I put some raw filtered honey on the bleed spot. He eats dubia and I hand feed him so no worries about that. His uvb is a 34” 10.0 T5 UVB (linear). His usual humidity is around 30% sometimes under, I use a digital humidity/temp gauge from Zoo Med
Does the gauge have a probe on it? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? this makes a difference for the UVB rays-- 30% humidity is good -- but we need the probe on the back center wall of the tank -- it will read your whole tank - its drier of coarse under the basking light but for the most part you want that 30% -- this helps w/ shed -

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does the gauge have a probe on it? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? this makes a difference for the UVB rays-- 30% humidity is good -- but we need the probe on the back center wall of the tank -- it will read your whole tank - its drier of coarse under the basking light but for the most part you want that 30% -- this helps w/ shed -
It does have a probe on it, his tank is (pretty sure fine) mesh on the top and glass on the sides

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where does the uvb sit? Inside or top of screen
Inside, it has a suction so it can attach to the glass. It’s reading only 10% humidity now and 84 degrees (nearby the basking light not directly underneath)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Inside, it has a suction so it can attach to the glass. It’s reading only 10% humidity now and 84 degrees (nearby the basking light not directly underneath)
84 is too cool for hot side of tank -- you want it close to a 100 ambient temp -- you need a surface basking temp -- the place where she sits for basking-- is the UVB on the back wall? How old is the UVB and what bulb? T 5 or a T 8? It needs to be directly over her and depending on the bulb will determine distance -- also 10% is pretty low for humidity -- this could be a good reason for having the skin issues --- please work on getting it up to at least 20% -- you can try a water dish in the tank or spraying it inside several times a day or a small humidifier placed next to the tank -- you need the digital probe hygrometer for a accurate reading placed on the back center wall of the tank

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
84 is too cool for hot side of tank -- you want it close to a 100 ambient temp -- you need a surface basking temp -- the place where she sits for basking-- is the UVB on the back wall? How old is the UVB and what bulb? T 5 or a T 8? It needs to be directly over her and depending on the bulb will determine distance -- also 10% is pretty low for humidity -- this could be a good reason for having the skin issues --- please work on getting it up to at least 20% -- you can try a water dish in the tank or spraying it inside several times a day or a small humidifier placed next to the tank -- you need the digital probe hygrometer for a accurate reading placed on the back center wall of the tank
I just got the uvb replaced a few weeks ago, its a T5. I replace it every 6 months. The uvb is on the mesh, spreading across the whole tank (sorry I got confused and told you it was attached to the side of the tank, the gauge is attached to the side). Just used the temp gun I have, the area directly under the basking light is around 140.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got the uvb replaced a few weeks ago, its a T5. I replace it every 6 months. The uvb is on the mesh, spreading across the whole tank (sorry I got confused and told you it was attached to the side of the tank, the gauge is attached to the side). Just used the temp gun I have, the area directly under the basking light is around 140.
That is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to hot -- the temp gun can be off please get a reading from a digital probe thermometer-- you want surface basking temps of 95-100--- the T 5 top of mesh for a wide hole screen 8-10 inches for a fine screen mesh inside the tank 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece ---- please get those temps down this could be a good reason as well for the skin looking the way it does --- your temps are too hot at 140 your going to burn her ---

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to hot -- the temp gun can be off please get a reading from a digital probe thermometer-- you want surface basking temps of 95-100--- the T 5 top of mesh for a wide hole screen 8-10 inches for a fine screen mesh inside the tank 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece ---- please get those temps down this could be a good reason as well for the skin looking the way it does --- your temps are too hot at 140 your going to burn her ---
I thought you said close to 100 was a good ambient temp? If my ambient temp is too low but my basking spot is too high I’m unsure of how to fix this issue (I already have a space heater for him since it’s still cold at my location).
I’ll try getting a reading from my digital probe thermometer. Also my beardie is a boy just clearing that up :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thought you said close to 100 was a good ambient temp? If my ambient temp is too low but my basking spot is too high I’m unsure of how to fix this issue
I’ll try getting a reading from my digital probe thermometer. Also my beardie is a boy just clearing that up :)
If you have a surface basking temp of 95-100 your ambient temp in that area should be close to that- what wattage are you using? And how close is the basking bulb to the basking decor?

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've confirmed that the basking spot temp is too high with the digital probe thermometer. It's a 75W and his basking decor is 5 inches from the basking bulb at the highest point.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've confirmed that the basking spot temp is too high with the digital probe thermometer. It's a 75W and his basking decor is 5 inches from the basking bulb at the highest point.
Ok please raise it - you don't want it any closer than 6"

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok please raise it - you don't want it any closer than 6"
Would lowering the basking area work as well? I just shifted the basking light location and the thermometer is reading the basking spot as 113. It's about 8' away from the light now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Would lowering the basking area work as well? I just shifted the basking light location and the thermometer is reading the basking spot as 113. It's about 8' away from the light now.
Yes lowering the basking decor will work - your getting there-- watch his behavior now-- how are the scales looking?

Isxbelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes lowering the basking decor will work - your getting there-- watch his behavior now-- how are the scales looking?
They're doing good, that was the only bleed spot and the conditions haven't worsened. His behavior is thankfully all normal- he's still eating, etc.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They're doing good, that was the only bleed spot and the conditions haven't worsened. His behavior is thankfully all normal- he's still eating, etc.
Ok well keep an eye on where he's sitting to bask-

Latest posts