• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greens Please

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone ! Happy Valentines Day!❤ So when I purchase my greens from my local grocery store (tops) they sell them without a bag. When I put them in the bags made for the produce and into fridge they get all wilty and soggy.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to keep my greens fresh and crispy? Let me knoww ! I hate wasting money and food and I would like to feed my Rico fresh crispy greens until I have to buy new ! :)

_zee

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Often wondered this myself so your question pushed me to look here's what I found it's long winded but informative I'm just gonna copy and paste:

REFRIGERATOR MICROCLIMATES

A refrigerator has 'microclimates'. Cool! My dad gave me a wireless indoor outdoor thermometer for Christmas so I put the outside sensor into the fridge, never once thinking it would report the temperature all the way through the refrigerator walls. But it did -- so I was able to measure the interior temperature of the three 'microclimate' areas in a refrigerator. (I love-love-love this thermometer, by the way. It would make a great gift for other weather watchers. But using it with the fridge makes me realize that it might help monitor the temperature around a bowl of bread that's rising, too, since I'm always fussing with whether it's too warm or too cold. I digress, sorry.)

vvimg.gif
COLD ZONE The 'cold zone' is the coldest spot in the refrigerator, and is the top and middle shelves, toward the back, according to Cook's Illustrated. In the cold zone, the temperature can dip below 34F.

vvimg.gif
MODERATE ZONE The 'moderate zone' is the middle and bottom shelves, toward the front. Here the temperature will be above 37F.

vvimg.gif
HUMID ZONE The 'humid zone' is the crisper drawer, which is supposed to keep a humid environment that helps keep produce with high water content fresher though can hasten spoilage if the humidity gets too high. Supposedly, there are refrigerators have vents to regulate the humidity.

ZONES IN MY FRIDGE Hmm. Well, when I measured the temperature in my fridge, the 'cold zone' and the 'moderate zones' were both 35F so I'm adjusting the temperatures so that the different zones do have different temperatures. The crispers are both at 37F and don't have vents. Newer fridges may be better? Mine is nearly 11 years old and was the only one that would fit through the doors: trust me, I know, three fridges were delivered, two didn't fit. I guess that salesguy should have believed my measurements, yes? I digress.

WHICH VEGETABLES SHOULD BE STORED WHERE

vvimg.gif
BEST in the FRONT of the FRIDGE: corn (after wrapping in a wet paper bag placed inside a plastic bag) and peas

vvimg.gif
BEST in the CRISPER: artichokes, asparagus (after trimming the ends and placing upright in shallow cool water, then covering with plastic), beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chiles, cucumbers, eggplant, fresh herbs, green beans, leafy greens, leeks, lettuce (after washing and drying, rolling loosely in a clean kitchen towel inside an unzipped zip-lock bag), mushrooms, peppers, radishes, scallions, summer squash, turnips, zucchini

vvimg.gif
BEST on the COUNTER: tomatoes (stored upside down)

vvimg.gif
BEST in the PANTRY (where it's both dark and cool): garlic, onions, potatoes, shallots, sweet potatoes, winter squash

WHEN to WASH VEGETABLES

Wash vegetables just before using them since moisture encourages mold which encourages spoilage; if you do wash beforehand, dry before putting into the fridge.

ORIGINAL PACKAGING

Cook's Illustrated suggests storing produce in their original containers which have often been especially designed to keep the produce fresher. (Note: Their story does seem to be oriented to supermarket vegetables which have been bred for long shelf lives under certain conditions.)

For anyone interested there was a link for recipes too:

A-Z of Vegetables

So now that we know where to store our vegetables to keep them fresh longer, we'll need more recipes to cook them too. I know just the source, right here on A Veggie Venture.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I use those green baggys that are suppose to help your veggies stay fresh longer and they work. I buy mine at Bed and Bath Beyond. When I am ready to feed some I take out just enough for that day and spray with veggie wash and rinse in a salad spinner.

Latest posts