• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

greens, bugs and sizes

Gumberc563

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,
I recently became the owner of a couple of bearded dragons. I think they are about a year or so old (no real clue. I have read that the size is an indicator and others saying it isn't due to nutrition, if lighting). They eat freeze dried crickets with no issues. Only sort of eat juvenile bearded dragon food by zoomed. They seem to like dried veggie and fruit mix and dried omnivore mix by all living things. however I am reading here that fresh leafy greens are preferred. With crickets, worms and roaches the rule seems to be if it can fit between their eyes it is a good size (oddly when I put the crickets there the dragons flip them into their mouth and eat them). does that apply to veggies as Well? Thanks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,
I recently became the owner of a couple of bearded dragons. I think they are about a year or so old (no real clue. I have read that the size is an indicator and others saying it isn't due to nutrition, if lighting). They eat freeze dried crickets with no issues. Only sort of eat juvenile bearded dragon food by zoomed. They seem to like dried veggie and fruit mix and dried omnivore mix by all living things. however I am reading here that fresh leafy greens are preferred. With crickets, worms and roaches the rule seems to be if it can fit between their eyes it is a good size (oddly when I put the crickets there the dragons flip them into their mouth and eat them). does that apply to veggies as Well? Thanks.

When feeding these 2 Dragons need live food as that's what is best nutritional wise and for their prey drive.. Just remember live is best.. The general rule is what fits between their eyes..they will chew items pretty well..with greens and veggies cutting them up into more manageable pieces so that they have an easier time..
If you look at the links below my comment beautifuldragons.com has a great food list.. freeze dried foods offer no value for them and dried greens offer nothing as well and they get all the water they need from the food they eat so live food is what provides all this.

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
The distance between the eyeballs is a pretty good estimation but Hdrdr31 is right about them chewing well. Our dragon is now 9" and i recently started feeding large crickets, some of which are slightly larger than the distance between her eyes and she munches them up, no issue yet. If i'm feeding apples or something harder like that i chop it up in a little food processor.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Live food and fresh greens is the only diet that will ensure your dragon have a long, healthy life. And yes, small bugs and greens chopped smaller than the space between their eyes. I buy $1 or cheaper bundles of fresh greens at the store - they are huge! - and chop them once a week, keep them in the fridge. It's also cheaper than the crap food they sell at the pet stores.

Latest posts