• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid or just fat?

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
Hi guys! So I have a 17 month old female bearded dragon. I was wondering if she looks/appears gravid, or if she is just fat.

She has laid eggs before, back in February; some of you here might remember that! However I'm still fairly new to all of this! I have all the stuff she needs if she is gravid. Her appetite seems fine, although she is showing very restless signs in her tank. She is not usually so anxious in her tank, which is what made me suspicious.

Anyways, here's two pics I took of her. If you need better ones, let me know! Thanks c:

https://i.imgur.com/YIBZg6U.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oiuuWYF.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The only way to tell for sure if she is gravid is to have an X-ray done.

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
As Patsy says the only way to know for sure is with x-ray, but if I were to have mine x-rayed every time she had eggs (Every month) I would be broke and she would be radiation poisoned. So I have found a few indicators that while not a sure way to tell can help a bit.
-The belly seems to hang towards the belly which may indicate eggs
- Mine always gets a black tail tip that inches upwards as the pregnancy progresses.
- If you give her a warm bath and when she sucks her belly in gently strokes underneath her, you can feel the eggs as small ovals that's evenly spaced on both sides. (Longer unsymmetrical ovals are poop.)
-And lastly increased appetite and energy levels.

I hope this helped a bit.

Latest posts