• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got yelled at by gator handler!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I took my son to a carnival this weekend and they had an alligator show, which was really interesting. Generally, shows with wild animals irk me but I thought the handler was trying to do a good job of teaching people to respect and understand alligators rather than to bother with, hurt or fear them.
He started out standing in a shallow pool. In the corner was a compartment where his alligator was staying. He starts the show by opening the compartment and pulling this 8ft gator out by the tail. You could clearly tell throughout the whole show that all the gator wanted to do was go back in that compartment and get away.
After it was over, he had little babies with their mouths taped that you could hold and get your pic with. When I was my younger, my mother took me to some Gatorland or something like that in FL and I got to handle some of the gators there but my son never touched one and wanted to get his pic with them.
So we get to take our pic and the handler gives me a baby. You were supposed to hold them with one hand underneath their neck and the other hand underneath the bottom of the tail so their middles were all drooping down...looked uncomfortable to me. When I got to hold them, I had my hands closer to it's legs and my fingers in between the legs to add some more support and the handler yelled at me that I was holding him all wrong lol! Apparently I was still holding him wrong when I got the pic taken but I think the handler just wanted to get rid of me. Then my son was embarrassed by me, lol. Oh well...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would have been with you! I would have wanted to hold him the same way I hold my bearded dragons. :p

Latest posts