• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good Substrate Idea!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So, I was thinking of my options for substrate for my baby beardies. Paper towel - I have to replace it almost daily, sand = nono, and I don't want to use tile just yet. My idea, a tablecloth! - Cheap, don't have to replace it for a while (when it gets REALLY dirty), and it's easy to spot clean! (and regular cleaning). It's the one that is soft and squishy, like cotton underneath??! It works really well. Just cut to desired size, and that's it! And I bought a sand color so it looks like sand and looks really clean. :D

Try it out! 8)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Small problem with that... nails can get caught in that weave... try some non adhesive shelf liner instead.. without the holes in it...
Janie

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
your beardie may catch its nails in the cloth which may cause damage to the nail, foot or leg plus even though it can be spot cleaned easily the cloth may still harbour bacteria and bacteria and broken nails not a good idea
paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I know what you are talking about - it's like plastic on top with cotton cushion on the bottom. If so, it is smooth on the top, so I don't think you risk nails getting snagged. But I would worry about it turning up on the ends and your beardie getting some of the cotton while eating.

Shelf liner would offer the same type of results without the cotton risks. Something to consider. As Paul points out, make sure it is smooth and not bumpy.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah, it's smooth so they really won't get their nails stuck... And as for accidentally eating the cotton while feeding, I don't feed them in their housing tank. And I do check to see if any of the cotton hangs out at the ends. Seems good to me!

Latest posts