• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good multivitamin?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I recently purchased Herptivite the multivitamin online but it has mostly Vitamin A in it which I did not realize, and I know Vitamin A is not good for your beardie on a regular basis, so basically what I am wondering is, does anyone have any suggestions on what a good multivitamin I can give my beardie on a regular basis without having to worry about making him worse? Thanks!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I just looked at the back of my Rep-cal Herptivite with beta carotene multivitamins for all reptiles and amphibians bottle and it does not contain Vitamin A. Is this the same product?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Omg, I feel like an idiot right now lol...I just read the back of mine too and it says it has the beta carotene which is an anti-oxidant that is converted into vitamin A in a regulated way. Sorry, never saw that part on the bottle! Now I know that the one I already have is good to use...Phew!!! :rolleyes:

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Herptivite has proformed versions of VitA. Used sensibly, basically this means what the animal can convert to usable vitA within the body is what will be used. Chances of overdosing with a proformed vitamin is minimal.

Products like reptivite have a preformed version of VitA. This version can be overdosed on if used improperly..

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It doesn't list vitamin A in the ingredient list, but it does say on the side, you're right: "Herptivite is the first reptile vitamin without Vitamin A. Instead, we use Beta-Carotene which is an anit-oxidant which is converted into Vitamin A in a regulated way so there is no threat of Vitamin A toxicity." You're fine. Just don't put it on the veggies every time, it's still good to follow the once/wk guideline.