• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good Beginner Pet Reptile?

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Hello. My bearded dragon passed away because of my inexperienced care. I am not sure why, but I think he had some sort of disease.
I am upset that I took a more difficult reptile than I could care for into my hands; I am an experienced hamster and fish owner, so I was too confident with caring for my beardie.
I wanted another shot at this, but with an easier reptile that I could care for.
I have a 36 x 18 x 18 eco terra terrarium that I could use. I also have a basking light, strip UVB, and all the other reusable stuff that my bearded dragon used.
Here are the requirements that I prefer:
- easier to take care than a bearded dragon
- can be handled and interacted with
- doesn't have a complex diet (doesn't eat a ton of food)
- a 36 x 18 x 18 is a good size tank for it
- Doesn't have to be fed every single day (I feel as if I do not have time, and my family goes on trips often)
- is good for a beginner

Thank you in advance!

Kconn914

Bearded Dragon Egg
11A58D3B-824F-4DF1-AAD4-B4AC2E26A15D.jpeg
Hello. My bearded dragon passed away because of my inexperienced care. I am not sure why, but I think he had some sort of disease.
I am upset that I took a more difficult reptile than I could care for into my hands; I am an experienced hamster and fish owner, so I was too confident with caring for my beardie.
I wanted another shot at this, but with an easier reptile that I could care for.
I have a 36 x 18 x 18 eco terra terrarium that I could use. I also have a basking light, strip UVB, and all the other reusable stuff that my bearded dragon used.
Here are the requirements that I prefer:
- easier to take care than a bearded dragon
- can be handled and interacted with
- doesn't have a complex diet (doesn't eat a ton of food)
- a 36 x 18 x 18 is a good size tank for it
- Doesn't have to be fed every single day (I feel as if I do not have time, and my family goes on trips often)
- is good for a beginner

Thank you in advance!

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
I would hold off on getting any reptile ----- just hang on to your equipment and wait till you are more settled and have more financial ways of providing for another animal--- you need to be committed to the care of a any reptile w/ taking care of it and financial wise as well --- after knowing all this I would of advised you to have taken your dragon to a rescue center before he passed ---- make sure you disinfect the tank before putting another animal in that tank ---- if you suspect a disease ----
Doesn't have to be fed every single day (I feel as if I do not have time, and my family goes on trips often)
This is going to come w/ any animal --- not just certain ones --- that is one of the reasons why I recommend you hold off on getting another one -- you need to be devoted to the care and not when you have the time ----
Okay, thank you. I will hold off of reptiles until I have time and money for one.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Okay, thank you. I will hold off of reptiles until I have time and money for one.
I agree that it's best to wait until then. With that in mind, how do you feel about snakes? Corn snakes are nice, and don't get too big. You have to be comfortable with feeding live food, though, and of course do your research on their care to help you decide and to know when you're ready to keep one.

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
I agree that it's best to wait until then. With that in mind, how do you feel about snakes? Corn snakes are nice, and don't get too big. You have to be comfortable with feeding live food, though, and of course do your research on their care to help you decide and to know when you're ready to keep one.
I actually really like snakes, its just that my parents really, really, really dislike them. I am not comfortable feeding live rats and mice though (I kept hamsters, and mice and rats remind me of hamsters. It would feel like feeding a hamster to a snake for me), but ok with frozen, or live fish and insects. I also heard about garter snakes in the past and did some research on them. I feel like I can keep the garter snakes if my parents allow them; I keep fish too, and I can breed my guppies for the garter's food. I guess I have the time to care for the snakes; they only need to eat once a week or less usually unless they are babies. If my parents ever switch their mind about snakes, I could probably keep them, but I don't want to under research info on them, so it will be a long time before I get snakes if my parents did allow.

Latest posts