• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gone off his crickets

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My beardie is now 11 months and growing well, however lately he just wont eat his crickets! It started off with him refusing to eat dusted crickets, so i put the dust in a shallow bowl and he eats it from there. Now he will not eat any crickets, when I put them in his viv he desperately starts trying to scramble out the viv n will not touch them. He eats his salad happily and eats meal worms. Ive tried cutting off the mealworms in the hope he will eat crickets but with no joy. Any advice on how to get him to munch his crickets again??

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome
Meal worms are not good for beardies. They are hard to digest, can cause impaction and give little nutrition. Beardies get bored with their food easy, try feeding Phoenix worms, or roaches in place of the crickets. Here are a couple of questions to make sure he is just being picky and there is not something else going one.

how long has this been going on?
when was the last shed?
when was the last poop and what did it look like? solid, runny?
how long have you had him?
has there been any changes in the environment?
what size viv?
UV light? size and brand
temps? how are you taking them, stick on, probe or temp gun?
substrate?
day/night schedule? are all lights turn off at night?

I think that covers the basics. We love pictures, post pictures please!!!

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok...
his disinterest in the dusted crickets started 2 months ago and the disinterest in crickets in general has been increasing ever since, with him eating a toatal of 5-6 crickets a day if im lucky & he has not touched a single cricket in 2 weeks now.
His last shed was 4 months ago and he has started shedding again today (I know that the last two weeks of complete disinterest in his crickets is probably down to him getting ready to shed)
His poops are very regular, he goes once a day normally around lunchtime. They r solid dark green with a white poop as well sometimes there is a bit of liquid with the solid poop, but this is generally when he has carrot tops or waterscress.
ive had him now for 8 months and he had a worm and paracite problem when I brought him that was sorted by my vet. (he had a check up 3 months ago and a lab test on his poop which was all ok)
the only change in his environment is the addition of a bowl which I put the calcium dust in.
his viv as a floor space of 663 square inches (39"x17") and is 15" high.
his UV light is an Arcadia D3 reptile light and is 36" long, he has a normal 100 watt bulb for his basking light. he basking spot is 8" away from the lamp and 10" away from the UV strip light.
I use a temp gun to measure the temps and today they r 109F & 90F
his viv is lined with ceramic tiles, and his basking area is made up from driftwood and a few rocks.
i have a timer set up which is 12 on 12 off.

The places to get food in my area are very limited and only ever stock brown/black crickets, hoppers, mealworms, king worms or huge locusts which are 1/5 of his entire body size!! what do you think to mail order live food?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Not quite sure why your beardie doesn't want crickets anymore, but he may have just lost interest. As Sandra (staylor) mentioned, try different feeders. If your pet store is has limited bugs, you can order online.

And how long in your beardie? (nose to tip of tail). If he is over 16", you can try kingworms (aka superworms).

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think you are experiencing your beardie maturing and showing himself coupled with a shed. Nothing jumps out at me.

As mentioned, try different proteins. I'd stop the mealies - not good. Some other choices are locusts, phoenix worms, dubia roaches. Dragons need variety in their diet. That goes for bugs and salad mixtures.

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so basically he's just being a pain in the bum...typical male ;D
Are they any online food suppliers you would recommend?

(trying to upload some pic of him but files are too large, how annoying )

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have no idea what kind of uvb you are using or the specs behind it. Most around here stick with the repti sun 10.0 Great bulb for uvb. You might want to try that. Also, bring down your temps just a bit. 109* could be a little high for him since he is bordering on adulthood. Try 105*ish. Beardies do go through moods just like humans. I know others have recommended different bugs, but just realize that once you make the switch, chances are he will NEVER go back to crix. If you want to stick with crix...tough love. Keep trying. Also, I would get a fecal done just to be sure you aren't having a parasite problem.

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the Arcadia has a 5% UVB & UVA output if that helps?
How can I reduce the temp for him? especially on hot days like today.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
To lower the temps, you can use a lower wattage bulb or raise the light up away from the basking spot.

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
wicked, thank you. think the high temp may actually be a problem, thinking back and looking at him earlier every afternoon he prefers to hide in the shade of his basking spot rather than under the lamp..? i shall try tmz

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven't heard of that uvb at all...anybody else?
5% is okay, but higher depending on the bulb is usually better. Most on here are leaning toward the repti sun 10.0 Not sure where you are located, is that something you can get?

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im in a tiny town in oxfordshire, when i got my BD the supplies were limited they've improved slightly, I shall go on the hunt for a repti sun, if not im sure i can order one on line. how often should uv bulbs be changed? ive heard conflicting views, some say replace when they blow other say replace every 6 months, whats your opinion?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
www.herpsupplies.com, there are others too if you need. Im not at my computer,when i am ill check my information on suppliers in UK. Yes, replacing every 6 months is best. I always tried to time the changing for when my guy came out of brumation.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's in Europe... You'll want the 12% Arcadia, my friend... also, your dragon is most likely bored with his crickets.. try changing up with locusts, or dubia roaches if you can get them...
Hope this helps.

Latest posts