• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going to sleep before lights out

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Ive noticed within the last week or so Ruby has been climbing up on her hammock and trying to go to sleep before her lights go out at night. They are on a timer and go off at 9pm and 9:15 pm and that has not changed. She has also not been basking as much, sitting in her hammock a lot of the day. She is eating and pooping fine. Any thoughts why shes wanting to go to sleep early ?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'd love to know what people have to say about this, I'm going through the same thing with Dexter right now. She doesn't fall completely asleep before lights out but she hunkers down on one of her sleep spots at about 6:30/7pm and starts closing her eyes, lights are on a timer and off at 8pm. She is always on her hammock too. She used to always bask soon after the lights go on and now she takes her time. Sometimes when I check on her at lunch time she's still in the same position she was in the morning!

How old is Ruby? I believe that Dexter is about 8 months old. We got her from a pet store in December and I just guessed she was a month old at that time.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
They are lazy lizards. More so once they adult. They all have there moments. But when they reach adult they really are the epitome of lazy. Maybe alter your timer to suit?. Mine is 8am to 8pm. Sometimes he is sleeping way before lights out. But not after a good old bask and wonder around the living room.
See what others suggest guys. But I don't think anything to worry about.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Shes 2 yrs old. I just thought it was weird that its staying lighter outside later and she wants to go to sleep earlier ? I know they get lazy as they get older but still.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Mine is 2 also. Just keep an eye out on her. See if anything else out of character. But try not to worry too much :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh man am I in for it! Dexter is only 8 months and is lazy as a sloth, I hate to see what she does when she is 2! She is so lazy that tonight I accidently left her tank open when I left the house and when I came back home she was still in the same spot!

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Haha that's funny. But oh so typical. But to be honest, they in nice viv's, it's their own territory, have a nice basking spot all to them selfs, getting a shed load of uv too, oh, and good food everyday which is all there own. I'd not want to move either :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie is the same way now that's she's two. The one thing is she tricks us at 9-9:30. I'll take her out to cuddle and give her some loving. Then she'll cuddle up and pretend to sleep. She'll be staring right up at me instead for the whole time. She just loves to stare up at me with a beardie grin. (I did that once or twice, but didn't leave the house. (I've got her on a high ledge so I try to keep the tank closed.)

But she doesn't go to sleep before lights out.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My 2 yr old Draco also put himself to bed early, has been for about 8 months now. He has a basic idea of when his timer is going to be turning his lights off and usually put himself to bed 15 minutes before his light goes out, its pretty cute. Sometimes he falls asleep and other times he just lays in his sleep spot with eyes looking sleepy. They are clever little things!

lovemydragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
haha My Zilla (almost 12 now) puts himself to bed before the lights all the time. i think he got tired of funny sleeping positions! the lights would go out as he was climbing and he would fall asleep mid climb lol.

mflavin79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine is a juvenile and goes to bed about a half hour before lights out I have the timer set for 6:30 AM to 7:30 PM. Can anybody please tell me how I start a topic on this forum here is my little guy Oscar

Attachments

• 8C2206B1-34F2-4B54-BBE6-991E9E774AD8.png
    8C2206B1-34F2-4B54-BBE6-991E9E774AD8.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 284

Patty56

Bearded Dragon Egg
My BEARDIE is 4 1/2 months old.
Why would he go to bed 2 hrs before his lights go off????

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lighting plays a huge part in their behavior --- incorrect UVB and incorrect basking temps- the older dragons like 2 and even a year will semi brumate -- younger than a year is not normal - 8 months old or so they do get lazy but anything younger could be a issue- babies should be active eating pooping and basking --- juvies can be doing the same but more sleeping which would be a semi brumation - incorrect basking temps will bring on a brumation like behavior -incorrect UVB's can make them lethargic not eat etc