• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going shopping ?'s

ZillasMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was torn as to where to post this, so if it needs moved I'm sorry. I'm going to buy Zilla a new light(s) today. I have no idea what the ones he came with are (one is a bright looking spotlight type and the other is a red bulb). I have 2 of the tin cover things that bulbs screw into(sorry- don't know what they are called) So what do I need to get for heat and UV ? I'm also going to get him a new thermometer, because I don't think the little dial one is very accurate. The name brand Pet store I have close is Pet Smart, there are a few other non chain pet stores around also. Recommendations on a thermometer also? Thanks, Zilla will appreciate all your help.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For heat and basking, you can use a standard household bulb. As long as your temps are fine, the type of basking bulb really doesn't matter.

For UV, I'm partial to the ReptiSun 10.0. The PetSmart around me (Maryland) doesn't carry this one. You can get it online or the smaller reptile stores carry it. Here's a link:
ReptiSun 10.0

You should be able to get a digital probe thermometer at PetSmart. They are pretty cheap, couple of bucks.

Hope this helps!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I concur and you will also need a flouescent fixture for the ReptiSun 10.0 tube bulb (needs to be the tube not the compact or coil). Heating as long as you can get a good temp you will be fine with household bulbs and they are way cheaper than spending 11+ bux on a "reptile" one at a pet store.

ZillasMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pet Smart does have a ReptiGlo 10.0 that is a screw in bulb, would this work the same as the ReptiSun 10.0 ?

And what wattage on the household bulb? I don't use the reg ones, so I will have to go buy one.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no the reptiglo is not a good bulb and the screw in type is either a compact or a coil
you need the ReptiSun 10.0 Tube (flourescent) bulb.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ZillasMom said:
Pet Smart does have a ReptiGlo 10.0 that is a screw in bulb, would this work the same as the ReptiSun 10.0 ?

And what wattage on the household bulb? I don't use the reg ones, so I will have to go buy one.

for the household bulb what size tank do you have (with height measurement) and how close is the basking platform to the top of the tank?

ZillasMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't know the gallon size since I didn't buy it (it came with him) , but the measurements are 36x18x18 his basking rock is about 10" from the lamp.

Latest posts