• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going out of town

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all. I'm getting ready to go out of town for a week and wanted to ask some opinions regarding my babies, who are about 6 months old now. I've asked my Mom to come by and feed them everyday while I'm gone. I have their lamps on timers so I don't have to worry about that. At 6 months old, will feeding once a day be sufficient? I'm going to tell my Mom to give them each a dozen crix a day. They usually eat more than that per day but I don't want there to be excess so that they are still in there during the night. Thought I'd also chop up veggies ahead of time and ask her to put that in there as well. That should be fine for just a week, right?

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i just went on a cruise and i had 2 big bowls of veggies and my uncle stayed ta my house and he isnt a lizard person so he just changed the bowls out and i didnt even worry about any other food besides veggies..... the lights was more important to me then anything bc if the bulb went out he wouldnt know what todo so.... but just a bowl of veggies and/or pellets is what i did for a week and it was fine

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all. I'm getting ready to go out of town for a week and wanted to ask some opinions regarding my babies, who are about 6 months old now. I've asked my Mom to come by and feed them everyday while I'm gone. I have their lamps on timers so I don't have to worry about that. At 6 months old, will feeding once a day be sufficient? I'm going to tell my Mom to give them each a dozen crix a day. They usually eat more than that per day but I don't want there to be excess so that they are still in there during the night. Thought I'd also chop up veggies ahead of time and ask her to put that in there as well. That should be fine for just a week, right?
i think the crickets once per day would be ok as long as they have plenty of greens also. at six months old the threat of brumation shouldnt be an issue so the slow down in food for a week should be ok. i would recommend giving them a bath just before leaving and again immediately upon your return giving them a chance to drink just in case they dont eat well while your gone.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Chopped up lots of veggies. I'm feeling quite a lot of anxiety about leaving my babies. This is the first time I've left them since I brought them home. :(

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i got my first beardie saturday, july 15th and 2 hours after buying it i got a call about work 475 miles away and needed to be there monday july 17. . . i had to pack and be on the road 6 o clock sunday morning and couldnt spen anytime with my beardie for a month and a half bc i couldnt bring it with me so i know how it is and when i finally got home i went on vacation with friends and family and after finally settling in i went on a cruise for a week and before i left i fed my baby beardie as many as many cricket as she could eat that day and the rest the morning i left with a bath that night and monring and left her plenty of greens and pellet food and just my uncle made sure the heat lamp was on bc he doesnt deal with reptiles and she was perfectly fine. . . . by the time i got back home i fed her as many crickets as she could eat gave her a bath and let her relax and she was happy as anything seeing me but when my uncle enters the room its a different reaction bc she just follows him around the room ((inside her cage)) and opens her mouth but doesnt move its kinda funny. . . . but thats what i did and it was fine for me just my biggest fear was her heat lamp bc she had plenty of greens and pellets. . . its not recommened but pellets can be left inside a cage up to 7 - 10 days but thats at your will. . . if you have any doubts give a kid 10 bucks to feed her everyday or bring him a surprize and that will also work to make sure your beardie gets fed bc a parent will prob be around to supervise the kid while feeding to make sure it is done like a neighbor. . .

Latest posts