• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going on a Trip To Las Cruces NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
summer has started and i'm off to go to Las Cruces on July! Of course Khyber's going w/ us yay! :D I want to know before we go what can i use to set him up on our trip?? We are going in my mom's big van that's for sure! ::)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great question. How long is your commute? And how long will you be staying away?

You can get a mesh cage for him to travel in. They are pretty inexpensive. Here's a link to what I am talking about:
Screen Cage

Depending on the length of your commute, you will need to keep Khyber warm. Hand warmers are good. You can usually find these at sporting good stores. Not sure about finding them this time of year, but you can try. Put them under a towel for heat.

If possible, do as much traveling at night. If not, make some stops and take Khyber out of the van to catch some natural UVB. Of course, this is only to be done if the weather is greater than 85F.

Something to keep in mind is relocation stress. Once you get to Las Cruces (I'm jealous), he may be disoriented by his new surroundings. If he has a loss in appetite and energy, it could be relocation stress. This is just a possibility. Not all beardies have this.

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh wow yes i understand but khyber is so smiley i don't think he will feel uncomfortable... If he does i will let you know in a next topic. The van has 3 rows of seats. I'll probably switch from time to time so he doesn't get bored. Is that good. Oh and thanks for the site for the hand warmers. I think the trip will last 5 days or less... depending if khyber wants to get back home. In L.C. The weather is around 80-95 in July so i'm going to have to stop about 10 min. In the sun.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i think that is great that you are taking your beardie on the trip. are you going to be away for 5 days or is it going to take you 5 days to get there. sorry, i'm jumping in the middle, but i am curious. the weather is fine for letting khyber get some natural uvb.

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm going 4 five days exact! To get there is at least 2 hours or 2 hours and a half... i think.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, that's not a long commute at all. Your beardie should be fine for the commute.

You are taking his setup, right? He'll have a viv with proper UVB and heat once you get there....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts