• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

glass surfing

BigManJones

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, my bearded dragon is coming up on a year old. I got him a new tank for the first time today (I know he was overdue an upgrade but things were tight.) because of the situation he constantly was trying to climb the glass. he went from a 20 long to a 75 gallon but right after he got used to the tank he started back up! im not sure what to do, I thought the tank was the problem but maybe its the decor? any suggestions help ‍♂️

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, my bearded dragon is coming up on a year old. I got him a new tank for the first time today (I know he was overdue an upgrade but things were tight.) because of the situation he constantly was trying to climb the glass. he went from a 20 long to a 75 gallon but right after he got used to the tank he started back up! im not sure what to do, I thought the tank was the problem but maybe its the decor? any suggestions help ‍♂️
Basking temps and ambient temps of the tank --UVB your using can be a cause of the glass surfing- since you have ruled out the tank size lets go over the temps and UVB --- first basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer the probe placed on the spot he basks at -- 95-100 --- are you using any colored bulbs ? If so get rid of them ---you will need 2 digital probe thermometers --- stick ons are ok for ambient temps --- next the UVB this can be a big issue- if your using a coil bulb please get rid of it --- they are NO good and inadequate for UVB -- they cause all kinds of health issues -- you want a long tube fixture for the 75 gallon tank a 24" Zoo Med -- Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech comes w/ a bulb --- if you want websites for those please ask I will post them --- once we get that ruled out and hes still glass surfing then we need to think outside the box as to the issue --- is the dragon a male or female ? If you need to replace the UVB please let me know what your getting the screen will depend on the placement and distance for the UVB --

BigManJones

Bearded Dragon Egg
Basking temps and ambient temps of the tank --UVB your using can be a cause of the glass surfing- since you have ruled out the tank size lets go over the temps and UVB --- first basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer the probe placed on the spot he basks at -- 95-100 --- are you using any colored bulbs ? If so get rid of them ---you will need 2 digital probe thermometers --- stick ons are ok for ambient temps --- next the UVB this can be a big issue- if your using a coil bulb please get rid of it --- they are NO good and inadequate for UVB -- they cause all kinds of health issues -- you want a long tube fixture for the 75 gallon tank a 24" Zoo Med -- Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech comes w/ a bulb --- if you want websites for those please ask I will post them --- once we get that ruled out and hes still glass surfing then we need to think outside the box as to the issue --- is the dragon a male or female ? If you need to replace the UVB please let me know what your getting the screen will depend on the placement and distance for the UVB --
no colored lights, the heat light is kinda yellow but I assumed that was normal, I don’t have any probes but I have a stuck thermometer, humidity gauge and a heat gun for accurate temps, the uvb is a 24 inch zilla hood, hes a male and I might have to, the hood is 24 inches but the bulb fits 18” the top of the tank has a bi-folding wire screen and I just set the lights on there, i’ve attached pictures for reference. also I wanna say thank you so much Sadie, you’ve been replying and be helping me with my beardie since day 1, you’re a real one <3

Attachments

• 253F5383-7949-41FE-96E7-C627CF1F1CE0.jpeg
    253F5383-7949-41FE-96E7-C627CF1F1CE0.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 6B0C4375-FC17-4862-979C-3EBC92E34E7B.jpeg
    6B0C4375-FC17-4862-979C-3EBC92E34E7B.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 5

BigManJones

Bearded Dragon Egg
no colored lights, the heat light is kinda yellow but I assumed that was normal, I don’t have any probes but I have a stuck thermometer, humidity gauge and a heat gun for accurate temps, the uvb is a 24 inch zilla hood, hes a male and I might have to, the hood is 24 inches but the bulb fits 18” the top of the tank has a bi-folding wire screen and I just set the lights on there, i’ve attached pictures for reference. also I wanna say thank you so much Sadie, you’ve been replying and be helping me with my beardie since day 1, you’re a real one <3
let me clarify that his decor is being messed with and changed, the tank is brand new (for me) and I haven’t decided on/bought much

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the screen looks wide holed but if you can get a better pic of the screen that would be great- your basking bulb you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb example exo Terra intense basking bulb - please get 2 digital probe thermometers-- one for cool side one for basking temps - you want actual basking surface temps ir guns are good but sometimes they can't read off certain materials like hammocks- also a digital probe hygrometer I can post a link for that tomorrow if you need anymore links let me know-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the screen looks wide holed but if you can get a better pic of the screen that would be great- your basking bulb you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb example exo Terra intense basking bulb - please get 2 digital probe thermometers-- one for cool side one for basking temps - you want actual basking surface temps ir guns are good but sometimes they can't read off certain materials like hammocks- also a digital probe hygrometer I can post a link for that tomorrow if you need anymore links let me know-

BigManJones

Bearded Dragon Egg
sorry for the late response, he hasn’t stopped completely but its been way better. ill show you the lid tho, its a folding one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry for the late response, he hasn’t stopped completely but its been way better. ill show you the lid tho, its a folding one
So the Zilla hood is a 24" and the bulb is 18" ???????????????? Look on the bulb itself and tell me if its a T 8 or a T 5--- usually bulbs are 22" for a 24" fixture --- then I can tell you for sure the placement of the hood ---- if its a T 5 it can stay on top of the screen if its a T 8 its going to need to go inside the tank ---- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen -- your T 5 would be tho and they need to be placed a certain distance as well between the two of them

Latest posts