• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Giardia Treatment Help

HJC

Bearded Dragon Egg
So our (not so) little Peaches (a few months over a year old) was diagnosed via fecal with Giardia a few months ago when we noticed diarrhea and blood in her stool. After 3 rounds of medicine treatment, can’t remember the name but is a liquid administered orally, the parasites still have not gone away. After every poop, the surface is bleached and cleaned. We try to do a weekly enclosure bleaching as time allows. She has a healthy appetite and eats well every day. After this last round, her stool has noticeably improved, less mucus and no noticeable blood. Seems much perkier than before we started treatment. However, a fecal yesterday shows Giardia is still present although “under control” as the vet said. Not sure what I’m doing wrong as to why they won’t go away. Considering a probiotic but not if she will need another round of medicine. Anyone have any suggestions? We just want our little Peaches to be healthy.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
My understanding is that there are several types of parasites that exist in our pets' digestive tracts, which are only harmful when the counts go to high, so if they're "under control", I expect the numbers are currently acceptable. Probiotics may be helpful, though, in any case.

HJC

Bearded Dragon Egg
My understanding is that there are several types of parasites that exist in our pets' digestive tracts, which are only harmful when the counts go to high, so if they're "under control", I expect the numbers are currently acceptable. Probiotics may be helpful, though, in any case.
Isn’t Giardia a parasite that can be contracted by humans? That is one of my main concerns since she appears to be unaffected at the moment.

HJC

Bearded Dragon Egg
upload_2019-11-15_13-10-39.jpeg
Clearly she isn’t too bothered by them right now.

HJC

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are also in the process of building a new, bigger enclosure and I worry about putting her in it with parasites for fear I won’t be able to get them out of the enclosure.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
She's adorable! Yes, Giardia can cross between reptiles, birds, dogs, cats, and humans. So just use sensible hygeine practices. For the new enclosure, start clean, treat any cage furniture with bleach solution or oven baking or laundering (according to what materials they are), and maintain good husbandry. Was the vet concerned that there might be a resurgence, or satisfied that it is fully under control?

HJC

Bearded Dragon Egg
She's adorable! Yes, Giardia can cross between reptiles, birds, dogs, cats, and humans. So just use sensible hygeine practices. For the new enclosure, start clean, treat any cage furniture with bleach solution or oven baking or laundering (according to what materials they are), and maintain good husbandry. Was the vet concerned that there might be a resurgence, or satisfied that it is fully under control?
The vet requested that we come in and discuss the environment and what could be causing them to repopulate. She used the term “under control” to convey there is no need for immediate concern until we can come in for a consultation. Just not sure what more I can do besides removing all furniture from the enclosure, using paper towels as a substrate, and bleaching every day. We have been through 3 full cycles of the medication, with the most recent fecal exam showing the least amount but still present. I worry the effect so much medication could have but the vet has said the medication shouldn’t have any adverse effects.

Latest posts