• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Giant cave cockroaches.

LAME

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello forum,

So I've been pretty successful with the raising and colonization of roaches.. now after dubias and hissers I'm looking to something else to add into my collection, but I'm also the type that when it comes to roaches, I will not keep them unless they can be of some use for my other pets.

So... what my question is: Is the giant cave roach okay to use as a feeder? Or has anyone ever used them?

I appreciate the information! :)

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
They aren't the best option if you're looking to start a colony of them. They breed and grow very slowly, much slower than dubias or hissers. Have you looked into dwarf cave roaches? They're actually bigger than giant cave roaches, giants just have larger wings and dwarfs have larger bodies. They have a better meat to shell ratio and they breed much faster. Also male giant cage roaches will literally fight each other to the death so if you do want to breed them you might want to just keep one male with your females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAME

Bearded Dragon Egg
They aren't the best option if you're looking to start a colony of them. They breed and grow very slowly, much slower than dubias or hissers. Have you looked into dwarf cave roaches? They're actually bigger than giant cave roaches, giants just have larger wings and dwarfs have larger bodies. They have a better meat to shell ratio and they breed much faster. Also male giant cage roaches will literally fight each other to the death so if you do want to breed them you might want to just keep one male with your females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were actually gifted to me through a friend in the mantis hobby. I had bought some extra dubias for my colony and she included those in as a birthday gift. I've raised dubias, hissers , and lobster roaches in the passed. Time isn't really much of an issue with my dubia and hisser colonies on hand, really I'm jusy curious if they can be used as feeders IF I colonize them? Or if anyone active on the forum has used them.

I'm still reading on them myself, but i haven't come across any nutritional charts or anything helpful in that area.

Latest posts