• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting that time of the year for being able to be outside

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Figured I would point out the article pertaining to taking your dragon outside as the temps are starting to become very nice and soon it will be perfect weather for bringing your babies outside. Here is the linke and below i copied the writeup for those that dont want to click the link
http://www.mybeardie.com/taking-bearded-dragons-outside.php

When the weather reaches at least 85* Fahrenheit and not more than 120* Fahrenheit, people tend to move outside and do more things outdoors. Just as natural UV light is good for people, it is also GREAT for your bearded dragon. Even though we have had some significant advances with UV bulbs, nothing is as beneficial to your bearded dragon as natural UV from the sun.

Beardies love to soak up natural UV rays. It is healthy for them both physically and mentally. Going outdoors heightens their senses as they become more aware of their surroundings. There are a few guidelines that should be adhered when domesticated bearded dragons are taken outdoors.

First and extremely important, is not to put your dragon in a glass aquarium outside. UV rays do not go through glass that has not been specially treated to allow for UV transmission. Also, the glass magnifies heat from lights. The incoming sunlight heat gets tripled and slowly over heats your dragon and can cause serious complications. In essence, you would be cooking your beardie. A wire mesh viv is ideal to give your dragon an area to hang out and catch some natural rays.

When motivated, bearded dragons are extremely fast if they want to go somewhere. There are leashes on the market that fit them or you can make your own. You need to ensure you have control of your beardie and not let him/her roam freely. If you do, you could very well lose your precious little one to the outdoors.

Another concern is predators. A bird of prey can swoop in and grab an unattended dragon in a heartbeat. As referenced above, you can use a wire mesh viv, hold your dragon or use a leash. But make certain if your dragon is outside you are as well.

Wild insects are another danger for your dragon. Make certain not to give your dragon the chance to capture wild bugs. If the bug has pesticides on it or bacteria it can make your dragon very sick. Also, spiders are a big no no. Never let your bearded dragon grab a spider outside and keep him away from lightning bugs as they are deadly to dragons.

One hour of sunlight is equal to a full day under a megaray UV light (MVB). That's how awesome sunlight is. Your dragon will be more active and healthy if given the chance to absorb natural UV even once per week. They love it. It's summer now so get out there and enjoy the outdoors some. Now you have a great reason to do it.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Woohoo great sunshine for you guys and the big sleep for me ;).

Well I'm a bit twisted i suppose i look forward to brumation time, my boy has been down now for about a week and half. By this coming weekend if i don't see any signs of acivity then the lights go off till September (brumation ahh.... blisss).

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
Woohoo great sunshine for you guys and the big sleep for me ;).

Well I'm a bit twisted i suppose i look forward to brumation time, my boy has been down now for about a week and half. By this coming weekend if i don't see any signs of acivity then the lights go off till September (brumation ahh.... blisss).

I look forward to brumation and enjoy the downtime for the first month or 2 then i start getting antsy waiting for them to wake up (which takes another 2-3 months lol)

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The beauty of keeping multiple species mate ;), they all go to sleep and wake up at different times. I am only without a reptile companion for probably 4-6 weeks tops during the main part of winter. Right now my BD is sleeping but the stumpy tail, gex, and python are still going strong and active lol.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I took Princess and Yoyo to the park with the kids the other day. I found out the hard way that Yoyo doesn't like my sunglasses. He freaked out and bit me lol. He did great with all the kids and people there tho. Princess just laid around soaking up the sun like she always does.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
wooohooo just hope it gets warm enough here this year to do so lol.

paul

Latest posts