• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting Started

2760kjc

Bearded Dragon Egg
My wife had bearded dragons for years, we just got some for our kids. I am new to this and was guided by information my wife and the pet store had given me. I have 2 questions

1. Can you have more then 1 in a 50 gallon tank? I ask because theyy are all small, but there is 1 bigger then the others. 1 small one was injured and I don't know if it was another dragon doing it or something slipped in tank and hurt him. Store and wife said they are docile, but research online says otherwise. That brings me to my 2nd question

2. I now have 2 tanks, which I am ok with. But when setting them up we needed to get sokme new heat rocks for the 2nd tank and there are a difference of opinions on rocks v under tank pads. Are the rocks dangerous for these guys? I have heard they can get burned, is it better to have the blankets u underneath?

In advance, thank you very much. I need to dok more reading on the lights and zones, but there are plenty of threads on that. I didn t see any on my above questions.

Keith

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My wife had bearded dragons for years, we just got some for our kids. I am new to this and was guided by information my wife and the pet store had given me. I have 2 questions

1. Can you have more then 1 in a 50 gallon tank? I ask because theyy are all small, but there is 1 bigger then the others. 1 small one was injured and I don't know if it was another dragon doing it or something slipped in tank and hurt him. Store and wife said they are docile, but research online says otherwise. That brings me to my 2nd question

2. I now have 2 tanks, which I am ok with. But when setting them up we needed to get sokme new heat rocks for the 2nd tank and there are a difference of opinions on rocks v under tank pads. Are the rocks dangerous for these guys? I have heard they can get burned, is it better to have the blankets u underneath?

In advance, thank you very much. I need to dok more reading on the lights and zones, but there are plenty of threads on that. I didn t see any on my above questions.

Keith
Welcome!!
No beardies are solitary critters. When housed together even clutch mates will turn on eachother, battle for dominance, battle for the best basking spots..
You don't want to use any heat rocks or UTH as beardies can not feel heat on their bellies and will burn themselves. they only sense heat from above with the help from their 3rd eye (scale ontop of their head that doesn't look like the others is an organ) All they need is the heat basking lamps (no colored bulbs) and their UVB bulbs..

Feel free to check the links below several of our comments as we have put together all the info you will need on set ups and what they need.. and ask whatever you need.

2760kjc

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome!!
No beardies are solitary critters. When housed together even clutch mates will turn on eachother, battle for dominance, battle for the best basking spots..
You don't want to use any heat rocks or UTH as beardies can not feel heat on their bellies and will burn themselves. they only sense heat from above with the help from their 3rd eye (scale ontop of their head that doesn't look like the others is an organ) All they need is the heat basking lamps (no colored bulbs) and their UVB bulbs..

Feel free to check the links below several of our comments as we have put together all the info you will need on set ups and what they need.. and ask whatever you need.

Thank you for the help and your insight. It is exactly what I needed. :bd:

2760kjc

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is this an acceptable substrate. My understanding is that it hardens like the natural habitat of the BD, so no loose granules that could be problematic. Or is it best to stick with the papers, towels, carpet etc.
Screenshot_20171107-162114.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes many have done this as a natural substrate, not sure how it is on clean up

Latest posts