• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a Bearded Dragon!

Helena Flanders

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and decided to come on here to get some more info on bearded dragons. I have been wanting to get a bearded dragon for years now, but I decided it wasn't the right time until now. I have a Russian tortoise, who has similar environment and temperatures ( not exactly but it is a good intro to into getting a bearded dragon.) My family and I are moving houses in a month and we have tons of space. I'm originally from a big city so I lived in a small apartment, and wasn't able to dedicate space to a beardi. Luckily my tort was very small then. After years of thinking about this and doing research, I have found the money, time, and space for a bearded dragon. My tortoise has a 4x2x2 enclosure and that is what I am planning to give my beardi when he is full grown. I may go even bigger. I wanted to come on here because I have had such a great experience with the tortoise forums that I would love to get input from real beardi owners. Forums can be better than just articles online because some people just put out facts that are inaccurate. I'm planning on getting a baby and would like some input on what size cage and care I should start out with. I was thinking 20, then 40, then upgrading to 4x2x2. Please let me know and I am so excited to learn more about these amazing creatures. I want to be as responsible about these guys as possible. Thanks

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It's better to save time and money by starting your bearded dragon out in their permanent enclosure than continuously having to upgrade it. If you will not have the larger enclosure ready when you bring your lizard home, start with a 40 gallon and use it as a travel tank.
Congrats on getting your dragon child and joining the lizard army!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and decided to come on here to get some more info on bearded dragons. I have been wanting to get a bearded dragon for years now, but I decided it wasn't the right time until now. I have a Russian tortoise, who has similar environment and temperatures ( not exactly but it is a good intro to into getting a bearded dragon.) My family and I are moving houses in a month and we have tons of space. I'm originally from a big city so I lived in a small apartment, and wasn't able to dedicate space to a beardi. Luckily my tort was very small then. After years of thinking about this and doing research, I have found the money, time, and space for a bearded dragon. My tortoise has a 4x2x2 enclosure and that is what I am planning to give my beardi when he is full grown. I may go even bigger. I wanted to come on here because I have had such a great experience with the tortoise forums that I would love to get input from real beardi owners. Forums can be better than just articles online because some people just put out facts that are inaccurate. I'm planning on getting a baby and would like some input on what size cage and care I should start out with. I was thinking 20, then 40, then upgrading to 4x2x2. Please let me know and I am so excited to learn more about these amazing creatures. I want to be as responsible about these guys as possible. Thanks
Welcome to the forum! Folks here are pretty helpful and know tons about beardies. :) Your tortoise sounds adorable.

Helena Flanders

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much. I will defiantly use these tips. Everyone on this forum has been very sweet and helpful so far. I feel very confident that if I miss something that I can come here and rely on some advice.

Helena Flanders

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also. For the uvb light, im planning on getting a Reptisun T8 10.0 24 inch for my beardie. Is that the correct UVB light and if not what do you recommend? I know the coiled bulbs are no good. Idk why they even have the coiled bulbs. Seriously, the sun through a window is better than those coiled ones (not like imma do that lol).

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Whether you get a t5 or a t8 depends on your enclosure. T8 is for if your tank is fairly short and the light will be pretty close to the lizard, while t5 is for if the light can be farther away. I recommend t5 for the standard 18 inch high tank.