• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a Bearded dragon!

Stephanie Colvin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I have been talking to my son about getting him a bearded dragon. Yesterday he finally decided he really wanted one. This has been a conversation for around the last 7 years.
He ran into his cousin yesterday at Petco who bought a dragon and an enclosure kit. My son called me telling me all about it. I told him that we really needed to do a lot more research so we could do it right. Boy am I glad I told him that! The kit he wanted to buy wouldn't have lasted very long for a dragon it was only a 20g long and didn't have a large enough foot print for an adult.
I have a lot of questions while we set up and enclosure for our dragon,lighting heat sources, figuring out the food situation (the closest pet store is an hour away) Crickets smell really bad so breeding those is going to be a challenge! I am looking in to some different insects that may work without the smell of crickets. So here I am and I need lots of help!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
At the bottom of my comment there are links to general care and set up. You are right the kit would not have lasted long. I would start out with a 36x18x18 tank, that's the minimum size for an adult and if you offer hiding places, a baby would do just fine in it.

Crickets do stink, you have to keep them clean. Dubia are great feeders and don't smell and last a real long time. Lots of us order our feeders online and have them shipped because it's cheaper. Rainbow Meal Worms, Josh's Frogs, Great Lakes Hornworm, Coastal Silkworms, West Coast Feeders, Flukers, Mullberry Farms, Ghann's Cricket Farm, just to name some of the options.

Latest posts