• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting 2 bearded dragons tomorrow

lilbit

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have 4 bearded dragons, buddy is almost 13 yrs old and he was a rescue. Rugar we got as a baby and he is turning 3 next month. Scooter is a rescue and is turning 3 also next month. Sally is our most recent one and she was a surrender, she just turned 3 on the 17th. My family and friends call me "mother of dragons" lol. We are getting 2 more tomorrow their names are sugar and bean.

Attachments

• 20220917_151650.jpg
    20220917_151650.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220701_170518.jpg
    20220701_170518.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230218_091641.jpg
    20230218_091641.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230617_142437.jpg
    20230617_142437.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

lilbit

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have taken in many bearded dragons in the last 4 yrs, i make sure they are good and healthy then i rehome them to folks that have knowledge in dragons. But tomorrow i am getting 2 more, and they have been housed together since babys for the last 3 years. She tells me they never fight, in fact they hate to be apart. My question is if i separate them now will they get depressed? I know having them together normally can be bad or deadly, but these 2 love being together (from what i am told) just not sure what to do and i don't want to do anything that will make them upset. Their names are sugar and bean, i attached their picture she sent to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231009_135430_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231009_135430_Gallery.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have taken in many bearded dragons in the last 4 yrs, i make sure they are good and healthy then i rehome them to folks that have knowledge in dragons. But tomorrow i am getting 2 more, and they have been housed together since babys for the last 3 years. She tells me they never fight, in fact they hate to be apart. My question is if i separate them now will they get depressed? I know having them together normally can be bad or deadly, but these 2 love being together (from what i am told) just not sure what to do and i don't want to do anything that will make them upset. Their names are sugar and bean, i attached their picture she sent to me.
Are they both females? I am assuming so - the gray one looks a lot bigger than the other-- that tells me that is the dominant one- they should NOT be together-- it is dangerous - you never know when one will turn on the other one- dragons are a dominant animal and are a solitary animal--- I would separate them NOW -- they will be fine --- good luck --

lilbit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are they both females? I am assuming so - the gray one looks a lot bigger than the other-- that tells me that is the dominant one- they should NOT be together-- it is dangerous - you never know when one will turn on the other one- dragons are a dominant animal and are a solitary animal--- I would separate them NOW -- they will be fine --- good luck --
I don't know if they are both females, but yes if they will be fine once separated then that is what i will do. I have an extra enclosure here i can use for one of them, i may need to get proper lighting for the other enclosure before i can split them up. I will order everything needed right now. Thankyou

lilbit

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did separate them as soon as i got home, bean looks healthy but sugar does not. I haven't done the flashlight test yet to see if they are males or females, but sugar definitely has MBD . When i was setting up the extra enclosure for sugar to go in i seen bean laying partially on sugar, whichnis where the lady thought thry were cuddling. I know its more bean getting all the uvb and sugar barely getting any, which is part if not most the reason for the MBD. I have no idea if they were given their calcium powder or vitamins (not by the container so i don't remember whats its called lol) but i do believe that too could be part of sugars problems. They only had one food dish so I'm sure bean got the majority of the food. On a good note, sugar has been a lil more active this morning since being in its own enclosure . However i am afraid the MBD is past the stage of being somewhat corrected. I have atrached 2 pictures of sugar, i have a bigger enclosure i will be switching sugar into but i need to go buy some acrylic so i can make sliding doors 1st. Hopefully next weekend i can do that. Thankyou agian for your advice, very much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20231021_173623.jpg
    20231021_173623.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20231021_173603.jpg
    20231021_173603.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did separate them as soon as i got home, bean looks healthy but sugar does not. I haven't done the flashlight test yet to see if they are males or females, but sugar definitely has MBD . When i was setting up the extra enclosure for sugar to go in i seen bean laying partially on sugar, whichnis where the lady thought thry were cuddling. I know its more bean getting all the uvb and sugar barely getting any, which is part if not most the reason for the MBD. I have no idea if they were given their calcium powder or vitamins (not by the container so i don't remember whats its called lol) but i do believe that too could be part of sugars problems. They only had one food dish so I'm sure bean got the majority of the food. On a good note, sugar has been a lil more active this morning since being in its own enclosure . However i am afraid the MBD is past the stage of being somewhat corrected. I have atrached 2 pictures of sugar, i have a bigger enclosure i will be switching sugar into but i need to go buy some acrylic so i can make sliding doors 1st. Hopefully next weekend i can do that. Thankyou agian for your advice, very much appreciated!!!
Yes she does this is why we dont keep them together-- I see you have her on some smooth tile I would either get some textured not real coarse so it causes abrasions in there or some textured NON adhesive shelf liner nothing w/ grooves in it makes it harder to clean - is she able to climb? If not then I would get the UVB directly over her in the tank w/ a distance of 12" - please tell me your using a good UVB like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun T 5 10.0 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ a Reptisun 10.0 ? Those are very good UVB's -- Sugar may not be able to handle the bigger enclosure - depends on well she gets around - they do like floor space so that is something to consider but w/ the MBD going you will be able to stop it w/ the UVB - I would start dusting her insects w/ D3 on the days shes getting them - the UVB is going to help her absorb the calcium -

lilbit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes she does this is why we dont keep them together-- I see you have her on some smooth tile I would either get some textured not real coarse so it causes abrasions in there or some textured NON adhesive shelf liner nothing w/ grooves in it makes it harder to clean - is she able to climb? If not then I would get the UVB directly over her in the tank w/ a distance of 12" - please tell me your using a good UVB like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun T 5 10.0 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ a Reptisun 10.0 ? Those are very good UVB's -- Sugar may not be able to handle the bigger enclosure - depends on well she gets around - they do like floor space so that is something to consider but w/ the MBD going you will be able to stop it w/ the UVB - I would start dusting her insects w/ D3 on the days shes getting them - the UVB is going to help her absorb the calcium -
Sugar is able to climb a little, i am using the D3 and i will definitely stop at the store tomorrow after work and get the shelf liner. I have the zoo med w/ reptisun T5 10. Bulb, because sugar can not climb anything with alot of height i do have the uvb at 12". I feel better knowing that most of what i have done so far for sugar is correct, i will have that shelf liner (non adhesive) in before dinner tomorrow. Thankyou, much appreciated!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sugar is able to climb a little, i am using the D3 and i will definitely stop at the store tomorrow after work and get the shelf liner. I have the zoo med w/ reptisun T5 10. Bulb, because sugar can not climb anything with alot of height i do have the uvb at 12". I feel better knowing that most of what i have done so far for sugar is correct, i will have that shelf liner (non adhesive) in before dinner tomorrow. Thankyou, much appreciated!!!
She should do a lot better in your care -- see if her MBD gets a little better under the UVB that she has now -

lilbit

Bearded Dragon Egg
She should do a lot better in your care -- see if her MBD gets a little better under the UVB that she has now -
I read somewhere that it may take a little more then 6 months to see a difference with proper lighting and care, going to be a long haul but i am ready for that. I just hope she isn't in alot of pain, it don't look like it when she is moving around.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I read somewhere that it may take a little more then 6 months to see a difference with proper lighting and care, going to be a long haul but i am ready for that. I just hope she isn't in alot of pain, it don't look like it when she is moving around.
I dont think so I think you will see some improvement right away - if shes in pain her beard would be black - w/ the good UVB the progression of the MBD will stop - if its nice outside where you are like 65 and above you can get her out for some real good UVB - place her in the grass but DO NOT leave her --

lilbit

Bearded Dragon Egg
I dont think so I think you will see some improvement right away - if shes in pain her beard would be black - w/ the good UVB the progression of the MBD will stop - if its nice outside where you are like 65 and above you can get her out for some real good UVB - place her in the grass but DO NOT leave her --
Her beard hasn't been black since i got her so thats good to know, unfortunately i am in Northern Michigan so temps right now are too cold to take her out. Would warm baths help her? I did get the non adhesive shelf liner and putting that in right now. For when it does get warmer i do have a beardie harness and leash so they can't run off and get hurt.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her beard hasn't been black since i got her so thats good to know, unfortunately i am in Northern Michigan so temps right now are too cold to take her out. Would warm baths help her? I did get the non adhesive shelf liner and putting that in right now. For when it does get warmer i do have a beardie harness and leash so they can't run off and get hurt.
ok so the good UVB is going to help --- just watch her and see how she does --

Latest posts