• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Genetics For Beginers

Lukenchilli

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi all, i am looking at starting to breed my dragons and i am wondering how all the genetics work and how i can get the type of lizard i am after. i have read a bit into the morph and hypo side of things and now have a light understanding of that but what i want to know is.. what defines the babys features in these departments is it the mother or the father (like breeding chooks) or is it a different ball park there. just say i want a hypo colored silk back. what genetic steps do i need to take to get to this?

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I found this a while back.
uploadfromtaptalk1407227686225.jpg

I cant find anything about sex of the individual dragons effecting anything though. So as far as I know (and im still a beginner) mxf would be the same as fxm.

Lukenchilli

Bearded Dragon Egg
So basically it is as simple as I thought. If I breed a hypo yellow with a leather back and then do the same with another pair that arnt related to that pair and then pick a male out of one clutch and a female from the other pair and breed them two I should have hypo yellow silk backs

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Possibly. But with the color addition and silkback mutation im not sure what the percentages would be. I would defer to someone more experienced im still learning myself.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For a silkback you breed 2 leatherback dragons yes. For hypo you need to breed those that are hypo or het for hypo. When it comes to colors you enter into insanity, the colors you breed will change from baby to baby. If you want yellow then breed only yellow dragons because if you add red you may get orange.....white will usually take the yellow as highlights.......normal will be light brown.

Lukenchilli

Bearded Dragon Egg
From what I can gather hypo is bright less dark colour and if het is in front of anything it means that it isnt visually there however it is there in the genetics. Is this correct?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This is the only thing I know in this discussion! Hypos have a reduction of dark colors. I have a hypo by accident, the pet store was selling her as a "fancy" dragon. Only later did I find she was a hypo. All clear nails and her dark spots are actually more of a lavender color.

WalkingWithDragons

Hatchling Dragon
From what I can gather hypo is bright less dark colour and if het is in front of anything it means that it isnt visually there however it is there in the genetics. Is this correct?
That is correct. Het is short for heterozygous meaning it is carrying the gene but is not visual. So a het hypo dragon would be carrying one normal and one recessive allele (Hh) versus a visual hypo would be carrying two hypo alleles (hh). A visual hypo will pass down the hypo gene to all of its offspring, where a het hypo dragon will pass down a normal gene to half its offspring and the hypo gene to the other half of its offspring.

Aeley

Bearded Dragon Egg
is breeding trans on trans safe I mean would I get any crazy mutations like legs growing out of the back missing eyes things of that nature???

Latest posts