• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

General feeding question

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is about 3.5 - 4 months. I feel like he's eating a LOT, but I don't know what a lot is (with my lack of experience raising them).

So, I probably buy 120-150 crickets every 3 days. He eats 'some' veggies. I've tried to feed other living and non-living feeders... Tried dead dubia roaches (I can't get live one's here), bsfl, mealworms (only a couple, as I've backed away after learning they can cause impaction) - he does eat the odd hornworm I give as a treat (small ones). The crickets are practically all he won't turn his head up at.

So, does it seem like I might be feeding too much? Should I control the cricket intake a bit more? Just seems like going out every 2-3 days for more crickets at $12 a pop is a lot, no? I just feel bad if I think I'm depriving him, so hoping for some more experienced advice.

From what I've researched on my own, it sounds like they are pretty good at stopping when they've had enough (not over eating), but want to make sure that's accurate and I should just be feeding until he indicates he's finished... Like with children, you can do a disservice feeding too much, or too little - I just want to avoid misinformation and have a healthy beardie.

Thanks all!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I really over fed my girl when she was a baby, i slowed down when she started showing signs if being a juvenile (give her bones a chance to strengthen and grow without too much weight being on them) i was told to keep a little belly on my beardy till about a year old then give them a break for 2-3 months, then start to plump them up again, they aren’t fully grown till 12-18 months, they get their length in year one and bulk up at year two, can you get discoid roaches where u live? I live in FL and they’ll only allow those kind, id definitely change up his diet, while crickets can be fine, alot of us arnt fans and dont want to risk parasites (crickets are the dirtiest feeder) at him being close to 6 months id try to give him super worms (they’re easier to digest, last a long time and are easy to keep alive) i buy 1000 extra large for around 30$ and they last 2-3 months.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie is about 3.5 - 4 months. I feel like he's eating a LOT, but I don't know what a lot is (with my lack of experience raising them).

So, I probably buy 120-150 crickets every 3 days. He eats 'some' veggies. I've tried to feed other living and non-living feeders... Tried dead dubia roaches (I can't get live one's here), bsfl, mealworms (only a couple, as I've backed away after learning they can cause impaction) - he does eat the odd hornworm I give as a treat (small ones). The crickets are practically all he won't turn his head up at.

So, does it seem like I might be feeding too much? Should I control the cricket intake a bit more? Just seems like going out every 2-3 days for more crickets at $12 a pop is a lot, no? I just feel bad if I think I'm depriving him, so hoping for some more experienced advice.

From what I've researched on my own, it sounds like they are pretty good at stopping when they've had enough (not over eating), but want to make sure that's accurate and I should just be feeding until he indicates he's finished... Like with children, you can do a disservice feeding too much, or too little - I just want to avoid misinformation and have a healthy beardie.

Thanks all!
You can add some BSFL to his diet they are a great staple feeder DO NOT dust them --- order large they are small and add them to the top of his salad they are a great lure to the salad bowl - www.symtonbsf.com
you will need a bowl like this or similar to keep them in it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Feed the salad first thing in the morning w/ your BSFL-- are you in Canada? I would look at getting insects on line and do not use super worms as a staple feeder --- you want the BSFL crickets or silk worms - supers horn butter worms are all treat worms - wax worms are too fatty and if feeding those only sparingly along w/ the super worms they are fattening too - hes going to eat alot because hes growing so insects are the main feeder at this point but if you can get him to start eating more salads he will cut back on the intake of the crickets --- add those BSFL they are also called phoenix worms nutri grubs and calci worms --- feed as many as you want as they are a good staple feeder for babies

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
I really over fed my girl when she was a baby, i slowed down when she started showing signs if being a juvenile (give her bones a chance to strengthen and grow without too much weight being on them) i was told to keep a little belly on my beardy till about a year old then give them a break for 2-3 months, then start to plump them up again, they aren’t fully grown till 12-18 months, they get their length in year one and bulk up at year two, can you get discoid roaches where u live? I live in FL and they’ll only allow those kind, id definitely change up his diet, while crickets can be fine, alot of us arnt fans and dont want to risk parasites (crickets are the dirtiest feeder) at him being close to 6 months id try to give him super worms (they’re easier to digest, last a long time and are easy to keep alive) i buy 1000 extra large for around 30$ and they last 2-3 months.
Thanks! Glad to know it's perfectly normal to consume so much. Looks like I'm just toughing out the growth period (as far as running out to buy more goes). I live in Alberta, Canada - I don't believe I have any roach options, unfortunately.

Mostly happy I'm not overfeeding... Just wanted to be sure I'm doing what I can to have a happy, healthy beardie.

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can add some BSFL to his diet they are a great staple feeder DO NOT dust them --- order large they are small and add them to the top of his salad they are a great lure to the salad bowl - www.symtonbsf.com
you will need a bowl like this or similar to keep them in it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Feed the salad first thing in the morning w/ your BSFL-- are you in Canada? I would look at getting insects on line and do not use super worms as a staple feeder --- you want the BSFL crickets or silk worms - supers horn butter worms are all treat worms - wax worms are too fatty and if feeding those only sparingly along w/ the super worms they are fattening too - hes going to eat alot because hes growing so insects are the main feeder at this point but if you can get him to start eating more salads he will cut back on the intake of the crickets --- add those BSFL they are also called phoenix worms nutri grubs and calci worms --- feed as many as you want as they are a good staple feeder for babies
Thank you for all of this!

As mentioned, he's been uninterested in the bsfl. I've bought some on a couple occasions, adding to salad and offering straight up... Wouldn't even have one, and next thing I know I have some of them turning to flies in the container since I don't get through them. (I might try offering again though - it's been a few weeks and maybe tastes will change... I'd like to add more insect variety, and I've tried based on previous advice).

I've done a fair bit of homework on the worms... He's only had about 2-3 small (based on his size) hornworms since day one as a treat. Maybe 2 waxworms. A lot of the other options I can't find here anyway. He's had a couple meal worms, til I learned about impaction and stopped. I've never done superworms since they're probably too big for him and I've heard they can also cause impaction issues.

With what I have access to for live feeders (I've tried canned dubias, but because they're not moving, he ignores them), my options don't seem to go much further than crickets - although as mentioned, I'll try bsfl yet again.

Being where I am (Alberta, Canada), the stores seem to only stock crickets, bsfl, waxworms, meal worms, superworms, hornworms... Not much else - can't get any roaches or much else.

As for kale, I've read similar and have been feeding it mixed with Dandelion on a regular, mixed with things like butternut quash, sweet peppers, snap peas, carrots, etc, and the odd bit of fruit here and there (mango, berries...)

I appreciate the quick informed reply! I do want to make sure he gets enough, and the right stuff.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for all of this!

As mentioned, he's been uninterested in the bsfl. I've bought some on a couple occasions, adding to salad and offering straight up... Wouldn't even have one, and next thing I know I have some of them turning to flies in the container since I don't get through them. (I might try offering again though - it's been a few weeks and maybe tastes will change... I'd like to add more insect variety, and I've tried based on previous advice).

I've done a fair bit of homework on the worms... He's only had about 2-3 small (based on his size) hornworms since day one as a treat. Maybe 2 waxworms. A lot of the other options I can't find here anyway. He's had a couple meal worms, til I learned about impaction and stopped. I've never done superworms since they're probably too big for him and I've heard they can also cause impaction issues.

With what I have access to for live feeders (I've tried canned dubias, but because they're not moving, he ignores them), my options don't seem to go much further than crickets - although as mentioned, I'll try bsfl yet again.

Being where I am (Alberta, Canada), the stores seem to only stock crickets, bsfl, waxworms, meal worms, superworms, hornworms... Not much else - can't get any roaches or much else.

As for kale, I've read similar and have been feeding it mixed with Dandelion on a regular, mixed with things like butternut quash, sweet peppers, snap peas, carrots, etc, and the odd bit of fruit here and there (mango, berries...)

I appreciate the quick informed reply! I do want to make sure he gets enough, and the right stuff.
https://www.thewormlady.ca/
try some silk worms - they are another good staple feeder --- feed the flies to the dragon - he may go for them -- they are good to feed -- kale is good to feed

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
https://www.thewormlady.ca/
try some silk worms - they are another good staple feeder --- feed the flies to the dragon - he may go for them -- they are good to feed -- kale is good to feed
Cool...

As mentioned, I have been feeding kale (mixed w/ dandelion and other). He eats greens - just very much more interested in insects right now, and to be expected at this stage.

Thanks for the link for The Worm Lady - just doesn't have anything I can't get down the street (they're in Ontario, more than halfway across the country... I'm in Edmonton, AB).

I will keep looking for closer options that have some silkworms though. I know where to find some if I feel like driving 2hr one day.

In the meantime, next trip to get crickets, I'll pick up some BSFL and try feeding them to him again. As mentioned, disinterested in the past, but given the increased appetite, maybe that will have changed recently.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Cool...

As mentioned, I have been feeding kale (mixed w/ dandelion and other). He eats greens - just very much more interested in insects right now, and to be expected at this stage.

Thanks for the link for The Worm Lady - just doesn't have anything I can't get down the street (they're in Ontario, more than halfway across the country... I'm in Edmonton, AB).

I will keep looking for closer options that have some silkworms though. I know where to find some if I feel like driving 2hr one day.

In the meantime, next trip to get crickets, I'll pick up some BSFL and try feeding them to him again. As mentioned, disinterested in the past, but given the increased appetite, maybe that will have changed recently.
Have you tried to get dubia roaches mailed to you. A ton of suppliers out there, or is there a restriction where you live like Florida has?

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you tried to get dubia roaches mailed to you. A ton of suppliers out there, or is there a restriction where you live like Florida has?
Unfortunately they're restricted here. I can get them in a can, dead. Live feeders, nope. He's not a fan of canned roaches, lol

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Unfortunately they're restricted here. I can get them in a can, dead. Live feeders, nope. He's not a fan of canned roaches, lol
Lucky here in Michigan. Started with crickets for about a month. Switched to roaches and we never looked back. Good luck.

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Lucky here in Michigan. Started with crickets for about a month. Switched to roaches and we never looked back. Good luck.
Thanks... Wish I had the roach option, really :(. Keep hearing how much better they are. More filling, nutritious, manageable... etc. Just need to find some underground "grey-area" feeder peddler (is there such a thing? lol)

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks... Wish I had the roach option, really :(. Keep hearing how much better they are. More filling, nutritious, manageable... etc. Just need to find some underground "grey-area" feeder peddler (is there such a thing? lol)
I’d send some but if they threw me in jail for breaking your laws, I’d be seriously laughed at when people ask me why I’m locked up.”black market roaches” wouldn’t go over well. Lol.

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon

Thanks all!
Wow, don't think I've ever given mine more than 30 per day, even when he was 2-3 months old lol.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Thanks all!
Hi; we reacue and rehome and YES beardies 5mnths and under need to eat proteins 4-5 times per day when they are under 5mnths old. They are growing and need the protein for their bones. Crickets are great/clean/good feeders & so are Dubias. DONOT do mealworms u are correct it’s horrible & impacts them. Dust the feeders with calcium powder sprinkle it like salt on fries, once per day 4 times a week & on a non-calcium day; do the Herptivite vitamin powder once per day/week. And Always the plate of veggies and greens & do a Fresh plate every 3 hours or so and remove the wilted plate. Best ones are mustard greens, dandelions, collard greens, yellow squash which has lots of calcium, butternut squash, green beans, snap peas, endives. As treats blueberries, papaya Amd mangoes & here and there bananas; but limit the sugar cuz it’s not food for them. After he turns 6Mnths or so; feed 3times a day the proteins then at 9mnths go to 2 protein feedings per day and after a year old u can do proteins once per day or every other day; like 15 or so large crickets and u can treat them to some super worms after a year old as treats and hornworms after 1.5 yrs Of age as treats also cuz they are high in fat.

jessethbearded

Bearded Dragon Egg

Thanks all!
Hey there! Baby dragons eat a TON of food. You should feed them 2-3 times a day, as many crickets as they’ll eat in 10 minutes. My baby did not like eating greens, they’ll always prefer bugs over veggies. When my beardie was old enough I had to let her go without bugs for a few days until she was hungry enough to eat veggies. (I would do your research though, this is just what worked for me!) Babies should eat 70-80% live bugs, then as they get older the ratio flips to 30% bugs and 70% greens and veggies. I would definitely do some research, beardies can be complicated and each one is different!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Noo u cannot leave a Beardie for 2-3 months without proteins & u absolutely cannot feed superworms at 6Mnths of age; their digestive system is NOT strong Enuff to handle superworms at that age they need to be at least “1” year old or older. And crickets as long as theybare from a decent pet store are clean, healthy everyday protein feeders.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Noo u cannot leave a Beardie for 2-3 months without proteins & u absolutely cannot feed superworms at 6Mnths of age; their digestive system is NOT strong Enuff to handle superworms at that age they need to be at least “1” year old or older. And crickets as long as theybare from a decent pet store are clean, healthy everyday protein feeders.
Don’t @ me with your care please, i never said to leave a beardy without protein……. -_- and superworms have plenty of protein in them 40-60% whereas crickets have 50-67% .
Not much of a difference if you ask me, and ur beardy wont get parasites…..

Latest posts