• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gaping mouth open

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
for some reason i always catch my beardie with his mouth gaping open i have a zoo med mercury bulb and two compact fluorescent uv bulbs his temp on the warm side reads 100-110 and the cool side is 80-85 but for some reason he always has his mouth open could my prob be off could it be hotter in his enclosure than the probes are reading.

Dutchess owner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
from what i understand and read, they usually do that to cool down. somewhat like a dog when it pants.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
See if you can shoot for a bit lower temps on the cool side. What are your nighttime temps like?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When they hold their mouths open they are regulating their body temp. What size is the enclosure you are housing your dragon in? If you are using a ZooMed MVB you shouldn't need the 2 compact UVBs.