• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fussy eater

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi everybody! My new bearded dragon has been making me rip my hair out with his eating habits. I wouldn't exactly call him a picky eater but he sure can be a fussy one. He's like the little kid that refuses to eat what's good for him. Let me start out by saying he lives for crickets, he absolutely adores them and never hesitates to eat one. He also ate a single dubia roach which he seemed to like quite a bit but here's the issue, mealworms. He had mealworms in his dish at Petco so I bought some. When I first put the mealworms in his dish he dove at them and chowed down,,,,,,,and then the next day all of a sudden he doesn't like mealworms. Didn't touch them for days then yesterday I gave him some and he ate a couple but only when placed in front of him or when they escaped from the dish. He'll eat them on the ground, he even ate I dead one I beheaded so it wouldn't squirm when I tried to hand feed him. Is the dish the problem? Does he not like the dish for some reason? He ate from a dish at the store without issue. Does he sometimes like mealworms and other times not? I didn't see any of the mealworms I put in the dish earlier so maybe he ate them but they probably just got out and are hiding in the tank somewhere.

The other issue is that also like a little kid, he won't eat his veggies which is funny because once again I saw him eat some leafy greens at Petco the day before I got him so obviously he knows how to eat vegetables. I knew ahead of time variety is the key so I went out and bought him some fresh collared greens, escarole, parsnips, sweet potato (which we already have) and even some mango. I didn't get a chance to put all of it in his dish but I will, I chopped up a bunch of it and mixed it together, especially the sweet and tasty mango and he won't touch any of it and it goes to waste. The veggies and fruit dry up under those lights and make the tank smell bad. The strange part is that with enough encouragement he'll eat a little bit of this stuff out of my hand but not in the dish, I even put some live mealworms in with the salad and he still wouldn't eat it . Again, is it the dish? He ate veggies out of a dish at Petco. I've heard that if a beardie won't eat the fruits and veggies feed them to the crickets and cut load them with it so they'll get the same nutrients. Problem is in my house we go through crickets quick first of all and secondly while I think that's a good idea I think it will deprive him of the variety that's so good for him. I have an idea though, you know those cans of dead crickets they sell in the reptile section? What if I bought a can and rubbed the fruits and veggies with them so they'll have that cricket scent all over them? He loves his crickets.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I forgot to mention I also got him a spaghetti squash which I love and will gladly share with him. Just thought it would be worth mentioning. I'm really trying to give him a lot of options and I heard if you mix it all together he won't be able to pick and choose easily and won't be as fussy and eater.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't worry :) they can be very picky and many of us have had the very same issues.. lol Don't waste your $ on those canned crickets they are soo nasty lol they are huge and gross.. Just keep offering a variety of bugs crickets, dubia, waxworms, butterworms, superworms (once big enough), hornworms.. gut loading the feeders is a great way of getting lots of good stuff in them.. keep offering the greens but every dragon is different and while they are actively growing they will eat more protein than greens anyways.. leafy greens should be offered not as much fruit as they don't need alot of sugar. place your greens on the cooler side of your enclosure, I've not had any problems with smelly salads..

Some do like different bowls.. mine likes her white bowl for her greens and I use a clear dish for her bugs that I also put some of the salad in there so if they eat it and she eats her dubia well she's getting the greens thru them. Just keep offering and in time he will get the nutrients he needs.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Hdrydr31! Your right, little guy's probably still learning what's delicious. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a second bowl either. I'm relieved he'll get enough based on what the insects are eating, it sure is fun to watch him hunt like a little dinosaur :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
loved that hunt like a dinosaur lol awesome.. Dubia are particularly good for gut loading as their GI tract is super long so the nutrients stay in them longer than say a cricket not to mention easier to keep than crickets..

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
loved that hunt like a dinosaur lol awesome.. Dubia are particularly good for gut loading as their GI tract is super long so the nutrients stay in them longer than say a cricket not to mention easier to keep than crickets..

Great! I hear they reproduce rapidly too :)

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
I've never kept dubias but it would probably be easier to gutload them as they live WAY longer than crickets. If you still want to go with crickets then I'd say order them by the thousands offline. armstrong crickets sell them pretty cheap, and actually sells adults unlike some websites.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've never kept dubias but it would probably be easier to gutload them as they live WAY longer than crickets. If you still want to go with crickets then I'd say order them by the thousands offline. armstrong crickets sell them pretty cheap, and actually sells adults unlike some websites.

Fantastic! I was already thinking of ordering insects in bulk :)

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'd suggest you dont use premium crickets. They sold me "adults" that were only about half an inch.

Maybe, but if I feel like if they're smaller they'd live a little longer. Then again I've seen private breeders selling hundreds on ebay dirt cheap which might be a better deal.

Paarthurnax

Hatchling Dragon
See Sixwandstattoo For sale ad Brandon has the BEST DEAL AROUND for Dubias. From tiny to medium to adults for a colony he will set you up for a great deal. His bugs are super healthy and already fat.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes Brandon sixofwandstattoo is great!!!! let me know if you can't get ahold of him I have contact info sometimes he doesn't check the forum often. I've gotten 2 shipments from him and they are great!
They are super easy, don't smell like crickets (I raised them for 5 years and I am soo happy I've switched to dubia)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe, but if I feel like if they're smaller they'd live a little longer. Then again I've seen private breeders selling hundreds on ebay dirt cheap which might be a better deal.
be careful buying off ebay as you don't know what they've been feeding them etc... I used to get mine from Armstrongs as well

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd love to start a dubia colony, i heard you dont have to feed as many of them as crickets.
that would be correct.. 1 Dubia = 5 crickets in nutrition they are super easy to maintain no cleaning just feed em, water crystals, oranges (they really love love oranges) darkness and heat..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got my breeding colony that I've got them sorted 3-4 females to 1 male of all different sizes..I take out any nymphs and put them into my feeder colony...that's the one I feed from so I don't have to worry about taking too many from 1 size, or taking my females that are producing.. although that's a good way to slow a colony down.. But when you are going to get dubia make sure you get a base # to be your breeding colony then get 100+ more to be your feeders as you will need to leave your breeding colony alone for a good 6-8weeks for them to settle and start going.. I have 2 tubs to keep them separate

Latest posts