• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fussy Beardie

Dragonette

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi, I'm about to take on a 3 1/2 year old femal Citrus Beardie and am just gathering as much information as possible. I am a qualified Veterinary nurse and used to work in the reptile section at Bristol Zoo so I have experience with reptiles but not specifically with Beardies, even though I have always wanted one.

She is very friendly but a little unhappy at the moment because her owners no longer have time for her, due to serious family issues, so that's why they're rehoming her.

She's apparently very fussy about food. (I've heard a few beardie owners complaining about their fussy feeding.) She only eats crickets, hoppers and water cress! I want to be able to feed her other things to make sure she gets a balanced diet and would hate to be stuck if the supermarket was out of watercress!

Are beardies notoriously fussy? I would like to offer her other foods and if she doesn't eat them simply remove and repeat until she does eat something. I figure she won't starve herself and I just need to remove the ignored food and give fresh food again later/next day. So, from experienced Beardie owners, does that sound reasonable? Should I be doing something different? Any other advice?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the link but Ive already been there. I was looking more to see if I was on the right track with how to get her to eat more variety rather than what to feed her.
Yes, ur on the right track. Fresh veg should be offered daily & ignored food should be removed from the enclosure. Are you looking for a specific diet ?

Dragonette

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No not really. She has probably 60% live at the moment so I just want km reduce her locusts and up her veggies. I also want to ensure I can feed her whatever veggies are in season and I can grow in my greenhouse. She seems pretty healthy so don't think pge needs anything more specific.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes you doing the right thing mix in what she like with others that she doesn't. Keep doing it daily she should turn around and start eating new things. It may take time patients is always a must with stubborn dragon.

Dragonette

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks, that's a good idea about mixing in what she likes, I hadn't thought of that but it does make sense.

Latest posts