• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Freezing your own crickets?!?!?

Eragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This maybe a no brainer... sorry if it is, im not to experienced in this,but looking to be!
I was just wondering if it is possible to freeze your own crickets. As if i buy live crickets will they be able to be frozen and then dethawed back to life?
They seem to be getting out of the kritter keeper i have and if my dad see another one he is going to have a heart attack! lol ;D
As i said it may be a no brainer buttt...
Also if that is not an option could you please give some insight on any other options.

Thanks
xx

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Frozen = Dead. They wont come back to life. Ive heard people freezing crickets and severing them thawed but I will stick to live prey. Double check your cricket keeper Im sure you can secure it to limit escape's. Good luck and keep us posted.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree. I wouldn't freeze them. I've heard that they can loose nutritional value when frozen. Plus, our herp vet has told us that they need to chase them and have them live.

Eragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok thanks so muxh ;D
yeah i think they maybe gettign out the top... the critter keeper i have has tubes that the crickets will hop up it kinda makes it easier than trying to chase them in the cage. Whe you take the tubes with the crickets out there is a flap that closes over the opening and where the flap is attached ther is a little gap and i that is where they are gettign out.. i think i just might buy a new one or jus put the small keeper in a bigger one a hopefully stop it. lol

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not fun having crickets running around the house. Been there, done that. I know we have added to the outside population. We bought our cricket fresh from the store. Any leftovers would be thrown out!

Check out the pic of Spike's viv. The post by RandomRaccoon is very innovative with how she handles the crickets:
Bearded Dragon Care

Latest posts