• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Freezing greens

keiferlou

Bearded Dragon Egg
I read a few older threads about the store bought frozen veggies/greens but was wondering about fresh greens that you freeze at home. My boys eat collard greens, turnip greens and mustard greens but I always end up throwing about half away each week. The closest store that carries these is about 45 minutes away where I do my regular grocery shopping. I'm considering freezing them as they can last 6-12 months frozen and I can freeze a big amount and thaw as needed. My question is about the freezing process. To properly freeze so they last, the process calls for blanching the greens. I wonder if this will take out the nutrients? Everything I've read says this stops the bacteria and enzymes that break down the food but even a quick boil is bound to take nutrients too, right? Does anyone else freeze their greens like this or have any suggestions? I just bought fresh bunches of each last night and may just do a trial run with some but if anyone has done this, I'd love to hear about it!

Also, unrelated to freezing but thought I would share. Gave Leo his first (to my knowledge) raspberry last night. His reaction was chew once, spit out, glare at me as if to say "That is NOT my butternut squash!", then stare at raspberry for a minute before going ahead and eating it. Then, he bailed off his hammock and proceeded to chow down on all raspberries in his bowl! It took him a bit but I think it's safe to say he likes the raspberries :) Such funny little creatures!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, most leafy greens do not do well in the freezer. I believe there is a method of blanching the leaves you could try with some.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I would never freeze greens for your BD. You can get one of those Ziplock Vacuum Pump kits with baggies for about $5 at Wal-Mart. I would use that. My greens last 30 days when using those baggies.

keiferlou

Bearded Dragon Egg
I might have to try the vacuum bags. I just hate wasting so much. It'd be much easier if I could "stock up" so to speak. And I did go ahead and do the blanching on a small bit of each and stuck them in baggies in the freezer. Will pull them out next week and see how they look/smell and see if the boys will even look at them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts