• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Free time

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We usually let her out every day after her bath. She loves watching what is going on around the house. She will usually just sit on the couch or play on her jungle gym, a.k.a ME. Sometimes she is daring and climbs off the couch and explores. Total time out of her tank is about 1 1/2-2 hours.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike rarely leaves his tank. Once in a while I will take him out and let him explore but he runs and hides....then I have to find him. He is out maybe 30 minutes give or take a few.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Daily baths for these creatures is truly excessive and a bad idea. These are dry climate, desert dwellers not rainforest animals.
Over bathing can and will cause issues with them. Three to four 20-25 minute soaks per month is plenty. In other words no more than once per week unless they are going through a shed in which case you may want to give them an extra soak that week to help ease the shed process.

As to how often or how long dragons should be taken out of their enclosure it is really up to the keeper. However keep in mind that constant and too frequently being taken out of the carefully controlled environment that you painstakingly set up to give them optimum conditions for them to thrive is a major stressor on them and not in their best interest.
Rule of thumb is to keep time out of their proper environment reasonable and only for short durations.
You also have to remember that these creatures are not like dogs which crave our physical attentions. And while bearded dragons appear to be "docile" creatures the truth of the matter is that they are tolerant to us because they recognize us as a larger more dominant creature and after awhile a food source. They do not, regardless of what some people believe, enjoy be scooped up and handled by us and would prefer to live the solitary lifestyle they do in nature. They aren't by nature cuddly or needie or nuturing. They don't even want to share space with their own kind and only come together at breeding time for a short period to breed and then return to their solitary life.
I am not trying to disillusion here. Instead only trying to point out facts in order that you may be a better caretaker for your dragons.
Inter-react with and enjoy your dragon by all means but in order to give them the best life it is important to understand them from their perspective and from their needs instead of ours which is unfortunately a thing humans tend to do.
You will find that once you truly understand them through their eyes that they are even more beautiful and amazing creatures than you ever realized and you and your dragon will enjoy a much longer and healthier journey together.
Enjoy:)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Daily baths for these creatures is truly excessive and a bad idea. These are dry climate, desert dwellers not rainforest animals.
Over bathing can and will cause issues with them. Three to four 20-25 minute soaks per month is plenty. In other words no more than once per week unless they are going through a shed in which case you may want to give them an extra soak that week to help ease the shed process.

This is all good to know. I don't particularly like giving her daily baths and sometimes I skip a few days, I actually used to do it weekly. I thought it might help her stay hydrated because she stopped eating veggies and fruits as much as she used to and she doesn't drink water or take it from a dropper. Is dehydration something I need to worry about or am I just being a nervous new mom?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
As long as her live prey feeders are well hydrate then she will get her hydration from them.
Also when you say she doesn't drink water you should say you don't see her drink.
Most bearded dragons won't drink from standing water anyway which is one reason that water dishes are not needed or recommended in their enclosure.
BUT...they do drink water when they need it just not in a conventional way. Their vents are a very remarkable part of their design. One of it's amazing capabilities is that it is used to draw in water for hydration when needed.
So when you are soaking your dragon in the tub she will absorb some water thru her skin but she will also "drink" water thru her vent:)
In the wild when bearded dragons brumate they will burrow into moist soil specifically so that while they are taking their "big snooze" they keep hydrated by water being absorbed or "drank" via their Vent.
As I said earlier these creatures are more amazing than most folks realize:)
If you bath her per the suggestion I posted before and make sure her live feeders are well hydrated too she will get plenty of hydration!
Enjoy!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I give Allie a bath once a week for 15-20 minutes followed up by a pat dry. Then I take her back upstairs to her tank to keep warm. At the most, 5-15 minutes out of the tank for some exercise and clean up. 10-20 minutes for the monthly clean up of her tank. 15 minutes out in the natural sun if it's in the mid-eighties.

Then there's the times where my Mom and I go out on road trips with her when we're heading out of town for art shows and festivals. And sometimes, I'll take her to the pet store in the next town. It's about an hour at the most if I'm alone without Mom. With Mom, it's a different story.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
lexx had his/her first soak/bath last sunday didn't like it verry much

Dude, my first few times with my dragon it felt more like I was trying to drown her. :D She usually likes baths more now, but every now and then it's like she forgets and struggles. Once she's in the water she remembers again and just relaxes.

Of course once she's decided she's done, she's done. She'll fly out of her tub like she's crazy!

Latest posts