• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Free roaming beardie. + not another lighting question....

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
So my terranium lighting is per what is recommended and seems to be good. The more I read about lighting the more confused I am getting. Im currently building a tank free area for her.

1) From what I have read they need 12 hours of UVB a day. How does anyone then have the time to let them out of their cage with having to keep them under a UVB for 12 hours?

2) I had no idea that too much UVB is a thing. Some blogs say basing with eyes closed is a sign of too much UVB? Is there any others?

3) 4 basking hours a day. And regular temp around 80-90 range.

4) I am loving the mesh holders that go around the heat bulb. Without the round reflective dome how do you get enough heat in there?

5) Is there any difference between the 200w incandesent bulbs at the hardware store compared to reptile heat lights?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my terranium lighting is per what is recommended and seems to be good. The more I read about lighting the more confused I am getting. Im currently building a tank free area for her.

1) From what I have read they need 12 hours of UVB a day. How does anyone then have the time to let them out of their cage with having to keep them under a UVB for 12 hours? Basking time should be at least 4 hrs per day -- and they wont sit under a UVB for 12 hrs they will go to it when needed

2) I had no idea that too much UVB is a thing. Some blogs say basing with eyes closed is a sign of too much UVB? Is there any others? Yes they can be over exposed to UVB -- thats why its good not to have a full length UVB fixture-- closing of the eyes could mean many different things -- coil bulbs can cause the closing of the eyes if your lighting is correct the closing of the eyes can mean they are relaxed

3) 4 basking hours a day. And regular temp around 80-90 range. 80 cool side of tank and 90's middle of tank w/ a hot basking side of 95-100 for adults / 105-110 for babies that is directly under the basking light - you need a digital probe thermometer for that

4) I am loving the mesh holders that go around the heat bulb. Without the round reflective dome how do you get enough heat in there? Are you talking about the light gaurds?

5) Is there any difference between the 200w incandesent bulbs at the hardware store compared to reptile heat lights? Like w / any heat bulb you must have a digital probe thermometer and I would l think a 200 watt bulb would be way too hot --