• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Found Beardie (Hasn't grown)

Ellen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone!
O.K. so about a year ago, late spring, where here in the desert temps in late spring are in the high 90's or more my son and I were goin in and out messin about the house. It was morning so doors were open and pets are moving around. Anyway, I go to the bathroom when my son who was 18 yells at me to answer the door. When I do he is holding a Beardie. I have two of my own that are both adults. One male and one female however in their own enclosures. At first glance I'm thinking he is holding one of them and wondering what he is doing. But then I notice that this little Beardie was a lot smaller than mine and a slightly different color. No mistake though it was Bearded Dragon approx.7 months old. So a juvenile. I asked him where it came from and he said it was in the garage almost looking like it was trying to go through the cat door. Thank goodness he found it and didn't step on it! Or one of my animals got it! Even though they know not to touch my Beardies! But this one wasn't mine. I looked to see what sex and it was a female so I will now say she. I belong to a Nextdoor app. so I put her on that alerting all my neighbors to a lost Beardie along with her pic. I immediately I examined her and she seemed O.K. except I noticed that the tip of her tail had been bitten off some time in the past which could have been from being in an enclosure with a lot of other Beardies. So I assummed she belonged maybe to a breeder. I noticed also right off that she was a leatherback and very pretty. Besides the tail her bottom lip was scabbed up. Other than that not knowing how long she had been out she looked pretty good. She belonged to someone. I put her in the sink with some water to hydrate her and give her the option to drink. She was VERY thirsty. So she had been out for at least a few days although I don't know how long she could have survived with how hot it was. I was amazed she was alive at all. And even more amazed that she found her way into my garage, someone who already owned Beardies and knew exactly what to do out of all the houses on the street. I also fed her and she was very hungry as well. I didn't have much room in my home because I already have so many animals but I went and got my old 10 gallon tank out of the shed, cleaned it up and put and extra feeding and water bowl I had with some other things she needed. No one claimed her to this day. I made a bigger enclosure for her and she seems happy and healthy. She was skinny when she came in just a bit but is now filled out. Oh, and I knew she belonged to someone too because of how friendly she was. She is a sweetheart! My other two are friendly but she is even more friendly than my other female. And male for that matter! I adore her really.
Now here is my question. I felt I had to give you the back story or I would get a lot of questions that just got in the way. I have had her now a full year. And during the winter she did go into brumation off and on and I know things like growth could have stalled or slowed. But she has not grown at all. I was trying to remember back to the juvenile stage of my two adult Beardies and how fast they grew but I can't quite remember. I know it was faster than this though because they are suppose to be adults at a year old. My two adult Beardies are 4 years old by the way. In case you are wondering. So that means something is either wrong or she is a midget or something. Or a different type of Bearded Dragon. And please no one ask me if I actually have a Bearded Dragon because there is no doubt. I don't know can Beardies be a midget as a Beardie? Are there midget Beardies? I know it sounds funny but if we can , can't they? There is absolutely nothing different about her than any other Beardie except for her size. She is completely healthy. No bone disease or any other thing. So maybe she was older than I thought she was since she hasn't grown since I had her. She has only shed around her head and face once but no where else. I am waiting to see what happens from here on into the summer. They eat the best at this time and grow the fastest. At least mine did. Is she a different kind that I don't know about? Any knowledge of the subject someone can share? Thanks!

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
She may just be a runt like my Stryker who is 5yrs and only 15 inches but weighs about 485 grms..she's curvy but short.

Ellen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So there are runts and they stay real small. So then she could have been an adult then when she came to me if this is the case. Is there any other way to tell the age? Does yours look like what a juvenile would look like?