• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Foot fell off

manda326

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 2 year old male bearded dragon. I got him about a year ago from a co-worker. When I got him one of his back feet had 3 toes that looked like skin was covering them. I thought he was finishing shedding. A few weeks later the foot fell off right by the joint. It didn’t bleed at all. It didn’t seem to bother him. After a few weeks it looked like the nub was growing but it was darker than the rest of his skin. He has had it for months. Today the nub fell off. It was bleeding a little. I soaked him in the tub in warm water to clean it and put neosporin on it. Is there anything else I should do? I am worried about him.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 2 year old male bearded dragon. I got him about a year ago from a co-worker. When I got him one of his back feet had 3 toes that looked like skin was covering them. I thought he was finishing shedding. A few weeks later the foot fell off right by the joint. It didn’t bleed at all. It didn’t seem to bother him. After a few weeks it looked like the nub was growing but it was darker than the rest of his skin. He has had it for months. Today the nub fell off. It was bleeding a little. I soaked him in the tub in warm water to clean it and put neosporin on it. Is there anything else I should do? I am worried about him.

Welcome to the forum I wish it were under better circumstances your here. What I'm guessing (if you have original pictures of the foot with 3 toes) happened is he lost a couple toes from being nipped by another dragon that healed.. Then when shedding previous times while with your co-worker he had difficulties shedding so some got stuck maybe even a couple of layers...that will strangle off circulation and the appendage will fall off, these typically don't bleed. With the new nub that grew back and it being on the end of the leg bone it's always hitting it when walking it tried to heal but that didn't work and it fell off.
What you can do is: Keep it clean by keeping his floor clean. So if you have sand remove it, replace what he's walking on with repticarpet (if your not already) or something soft and easy to clean. Soaks: use betadine solution weakend to the color of light tea. Silver solution by Curad ointment can be applied. If it doesn't look like it's on the good side with healing he may need to be seen by your exotic vet to determine if a further amputation/closure is needed.
Please if you are in the slightest not comfortable with how it looks or how he is acting VET VET Vet.. We are NOT vets here..

manda326

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum I wish it were under better circumstances your here. What I'm guessing (if you have original pictures of the foot with 3 toes) happened is he lost a couple toes from being nipped by another dragon that healed.. Then when shedding previous times while with your co-worker he had difficulties shedding so some got stuck maybe even a couple of layers...that will strangle off circulation and the appendage will fall off, these typically don't bleed. With the new nub that grew back and it being on the end of the leg bone it's always hitting it when walking it tried to heal but that didn't work and it fell off.
What you can do is: Keep it clean by keeping his floor clean. So if you have sand remove it, replace what he's walking on with repticarpet (if your not already) or something soft and easy to clean. Soaks: use betadine solution weakend to the color of light tea. Silver solution by Curad ointment can be applied. If it doesn't look like it's on the good side with healing he may need to be seen by your exotic vet to determine if a further amputation/closure is needed.
Please if you are in the slightest not comfortable with how it looks or how he is acting VET VET Vet.. We are NOT vets here..
Thank you. I will do the Betadine soaks and keep cleaning it. I’m nervous about it. If it doesn’t look any better in a day I will take him to the vet.

Latest posts