• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food for your feeders, what do you use?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I was involved with a post on another forum concerning roach chow homemade vs online breeder purchased. I stated what I use (ground up nutro all natural high protein dog food, wheat bran and chick feed mixed in a food grinder) and was promptly told that it was not good and that breeder made is better made with better ingredients and blah blah. Now the person saying this happens to be a roach retailer (thefeederstore.com) so their opinion on feed is jaded as I see it cause of course this person would want people to buy their overpriced feed instead of making it themselves for a fraction of the cost. When confronted for proof of the claims the person did not respond and hada friend come in doting over their product. I noticed no difference in the health of my insects when I madethe switch to home made from the feed I was getting from a friend of mine.

Anyway, point of the story is what do you think? Have you used both and prefer one over the other?

Thanks.

Brian

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmmmmmmm

The topic is Food for your feeders, recon it isnt contained to only roaches ???

I use home made food for my cricket colony, and if I have to form an opinion I think home made is better. As you only use the best for your feeders to give the best to your reptiles right !!!

My crickets compared to bought crickets are much fatter/rounder (They actually shine and sometimes I think theyre gonna pop)
So they look better and healthier

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I always made my own food and my roaches bred like wildfire. I honestly think it's just the breeder trying to push his product.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
I always made my own food and my roaches bred like wildfire. I honestly think it's just the breeder trying to push his product.

Yeah I know it is. But when I called said roach breeder out on it said roach breeders business partner (a dragon breeder) came online and basically called me a dumba$$ in a passive aggressive way.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, if that was the case it is definitely BS on the breeder's part. The guy seems like a real tool resorting to calling you names like that. I dealt with a similar situation a couple days ago on youtube but the topic was dragon breeding.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sometimes guys, it's better to let ignorance draw the attention rather than to try to prove your point.
it's not the words they use that prompt their sales. It's the laziness factor of people.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
sometimes guys, it's better to let ignorance draw the attention rather than to try to prove your point.
it's not the words they use that prompt their sales. It's the laziness factor of people.

Gina now you know I am hard headed and have a hard time backing out of a fight lol. But I have actually left it alone as I do not want bad blood between me and the breeder that is this persons partner cause that breeder helped me out a while ago when I first started breeding.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use oats, potatoe flakes, fish food and ground up cat food. For water, I use potatoes and carrots. Have been breeding them for over a year with no issues...and my roaches seem fat and happy.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
K so the dragon breeder that was siding with the roach breeder is David from carolina classic dragons. An he has now professed that he is gods gift to bearded dragon breeding, apparently he breeds the best dragons in the country and knows more about the science of caring for dragons than anyone. What a tool

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
K so the dragon breeder that was siding with the roach breeder is David from carolina classic dragons. An he has now professed that he is gods gift to bearded dragon breeding, apparently he breeds the best dragons in the country and knows more about the science of caring for dragons than anyone. What a tool
Brian, come on now....you know he's right!

In his own little world

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I found and read the thread your talking about Brian :)

Cricket/supers/mice/roach/whatever breeders use food that makes their product grow fast and healthy. They want them to grow quick and get out. So what they say has some merit.

But.......they're claiming that their roach is better for the dragon. That requires results. Are their dragons growing faster than mine, or displaying more behaviour? Can their dragons do things mine can't? Doubt it. So if what I feed works for me....whats better?

I don't keep roaches anymore. In order to have a colony that supports my collection, I would have to have a lot of roaches. I'd end up spending too much time on bugs. No fun.

I'm a cricket/super guy. I buy mine. All I feed my crickets is crushed up dog food. No water. I used to give them greens, and water crystals, and dog food, potatoes, fruit......for years. I was waisting my time. They do just as good on just crushed dog food :) I can make a years supply in five minutes :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your input Tim. I have come to terms with the fact that David will argue to the point of loosing customers to make his freind look good. I gave up with that deal.

Latest posts