• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food for thought (literally)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
What is the community's thoughts on canned and freeze-dried food options for their beardies? I know that on a regular basis live feeders should be top priority on a growing dragon (and I plan on buying a baby, so this is a priority for me). That being said, realistically my job requires long hours from me (such is the life of a sales manager at a car dealership).

There may be times where my job pulls me away from the option of going to the pet store to buy feeders a couple times a week. I was thinking of buying some canned and freeze-dried insects in the event I work late but still need to feed my dragon. My wife is "somewhat" willing to help take care of the little bugger, so there's that piece of convenience for her as well. Honestly, I think when we get one he will grow on her, as is the case with my pacman frog. :)

I've tossed around the idea of maintaining a "dubia ranch" of roaches as well, but my wife, although accepting, isn't exactly keen on the idea of keeping something in the house she perceives a household pest (trust me, hard to convince her otherwise).

So what do you think? Are those options healthful for the dragon, in a pinch? Or should I be more pragmatic in my approach and just go the route of the dubia? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Phoenix worms are really healthy and can be ordered online and last up to about 3 weeks in the container they come in and you don't have to feed them! Just don't tell your wife that what they really are is optimally nutritious maggots. Roaches are great too though and if you have a small colony and just keep it in a container where they can't escape within a shallow container she may feel safer about the idea. Variety is the best way to go. You can also order hornworms and silkworms online and the hornworms last really well too.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Awesome I didnt even think about Phoenix worms! I had definitely given the hornworms consideration, but they look too big for a young dragon so I figured I would wait a few months.

Got good sites to look at for Phoenix and silkworms? Backwater reptiles seems to have hornworms and it looks like a pro site, but I'm clueless where to get the other two feeders. Thanks for the help!

Kjmov4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Phoenix worms would be a great solution. Hornworms could be alright once the dragon got a little size. When you first get the hornworms they're probably about an inch or two long. But in a week a few of mine have gotten about finger length and almost girth. It was interesting watching my big girl destroy them for lunch.

As far as purchasing that stuff, I have had a great deal of success with westcoastroaches.com. I think they're based out of NC. Great customer service, reasonable return policy, very strict shipment days so it makes it easier to know when your stuff is coming. They do auctions and "grab" specials on their Facebook page too.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The phoenix worms offer a trial pack just to make sure you like them for like $6 but the shipping is not included in this and was about $5-6 extra. The hornworms and silks I usually pick up at a local reptile show every 2 weeks and I just ordered roaches from Kimbrell's Coldblood so I'll let you know how that goes once I get them. I usually avoid crickets since they smell, escape easily, and all uneaten ones must be tracked down and removed from the beardie's enclosure every night which is such a hassle. http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/StoreFront

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Nope. My little guy just likes roaches and I want to get a bit more protein in his diet.

Latest posts