• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food and pickiness

Nathan Vanderslice

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all. My name is Nathan. I'm not new to bearded dragons as I have had one for somewhere around 4 or 5 years. (I've lost track) I'm finding it harder to get her to eat. The things that she will eat: carrot, red pepper, broccoli, and do so readily. However I see that these are only to be served occasionally. For some time she was pretty good at eating dandilion greens and red lettuce. (I was to understand that it was better than iceberg lettuce). Now she's not a fan of them. I did about a 3 week trip by car moving across country from NY to Oregon. That was about all we fed her and occasionally she would eat some but rarely Not sure if that's because she just didn't like it or was stressed out from the travel. (She was doing pretty well when I first started feeding it to her but then got to where she wouldn't eat it. I tried feeding her Repashy (sp?) as an alternative but she would turn into crazy beardy, glass surfing, running around in the viv and so forth. behavior stopped when I stopped giving it to her. (BTW has anyone ever heard of that happening with Repashy?) I'm guessing that she is somewhere around 4 or 5 years old and wondering if age has something to do with it. Thanks.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all. My name is Nathan. I'm not new to bearded dragons as I have had one for somewhere around 4 or 5 years. (I've lost track) I'm finding it harder to get her to eat. The things that she will eat: carrot, red pepper, broccoli, and do so readily. However I see that these are only to be served occasionally. For some time she was pretty good at eating dandilion greens and red lettuce. (I was to understand that it was better than iceberg lettuce). Now she's not a fan of them. I did about a 3 week trip by car moving across country from NY to Oregon. That was about all we fed her and occasionally she would eat some but rarely Not sure if that's because she just didn't like it or was stressed out from the travel. (She was doing pretty well when I first started feeding it to her but then got to where she wouldn't eat it. I tried feeding her Repashy (sp?) as an alternative but she would turn into crazy beardy, glass surfing, running around in the viv and so forth. behavior stopped when I stopped giving it to her. (BTW has anyone ever heard of that happening with Repashy?) I'm guessing that she is somewhere around 4 or 5 years old and wondering if age has something to do with it. Thanks.
The lighting in the tank is the factor most times --- the basking temps should be surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - did the eating issues start before the trip? Please no more broccoli or red lettuce or peppers - your dragon needs greens like collard mustard turnip or kale http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
kale is a great staple feeder
Please go over the UVB brand and bulb is it a coil or a long tube ? Basking bulb should be a solid bright white basking bulb --- NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that hurts the eyes -- I have never heard of Repashy doing what you described so I am thinking its was a coincidence that this started when it did -- incorrect lighting and temps in the tank would cause the glass surfing etc and it could also be the weather hormones etc --- but we need to rule out lighting and temps first - is she doing any frantically digging in the tank -- is she gravid or has she ever layed eggs before ?
How old is the UVB?

Nathan Vanderslice

Bearded Dragon Egg
The lighting in the tank is the factor most times --- the basking temps should be surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - did the eating issues start before the trip? Please no more broccoli or red lettuce or peppers - your dragon needs greens like collard mustard turnip or kale http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
kale is a great staple feeder
Please go over the UVB brand and bulb is it a coil or a long tube ? Basking bulb should be a solid bright white basking bulb --- NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that hurts the eyes -- I have never heard of Repashy doing what you described so I am thinking its was a coincidence that this started when it did -- incorrect lighting and temps in the tank would cause the glass surfing etc and it could also be the weather hormones etc --- but we need to rule out lighting and temps first - is she doing any frantically digging in the tank -- is she gravid or has she ever layed eggs before ?
How old is the UVB?
Thanks for the reply. The bulb is an Exo Terra 125 watt mercury vapor bulb. That has also the screen on top of the viv which is cutting down the light a bit. . Right now the front of the bulb is about 14-15" above the screen and total to the marble tiles (rough side up) is ~32-33" My IR thermometer is dead right now so will have to give you more later but the last time I checked it I think it was at a pretty good range. I'll take a look at some of the other options food wise. You clicked my memory in that kale is one of the other things she will or never would eat Oh and come to think of it, she has been really laid back and there has been no glass surfing at all. This with clear glass all sides. So far as the digging, she has not, to the best of my knowledge never done that although that may explain some of the things I heard some time back that sounded like scratching (maybe trying to dig). She did have one time where she got real sick and I took her to the vet. If I remember correctly he said that it looked like she had been egg bound or had an infection and put a needle on syringe to drain what was there along with treatments ?antibiotics? to clear up what was there. That's been over a year ago and she has been fine in that respect since. What's interesting that it's been well over a year and she has not gone in the "cave" since.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the reply. The bulb is an Exo Terra 125 watt mercury vapor bulb. That has also the screen on top of the viv which is cutting down the light a bit. . Right now the front of the bulb is about 14-15" above the screen and total to the marble tiles (rough side up) is ~32-33" My IR thermometer is dead right now so will have to give you more later but the last time I checked it I think it was at a pretty good range. I'll take a look at some of the other options food wise. You clicked my memory in that kale is one of the other things she will or never would eat Oh and come to think of it, she has been really laid back and there has been no glass surfing at all. This with clear glass all sides. So far as the digging, she has not, to the best of my knowledge never done that although that may explain some of the things I heard some time back that sounded like scratching (maybe trying to dig). She did have one time where she got real sick and I took her to the vet. If I remember correctly he said that it looked like she had been egg bound or had an infection and put a needle on syringe to drain what was there along with treatments ?antibiotics? to clear up what was there. That's been over a year ago and she has been fine in that respect since. What's interesting that it's been well over a year and she has not gone in the "cave" since.
Ok the Solar Glo is a good bulb but distance is key and if its too far away its going to cut down on the UVB and sitting on the screen even more so-- they are good for heat -- most MVB's do no emit enough UVB for the requirements for the dragon- I would get another UVB long tube fixture if your tank is a 40 + gallon a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb its good for back up but you want the 22" Reptisun 10.0 this one is for reptiles -- or you can get a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ 12% bulb --- at this point I am thinking she is lacking UVB -- please do this right away -- placement and distance will be determined by the screen on your tank - in the mean time please get the MVB w/ no screen and get a digital probe thermometer so you can get the correct temps in the tank -- surface basking temps -- you need this -- not sure what is going on w/ the cave thing -- by the way how old is the Solar Glo? They should be changed out every 6 months or so but that is because of the UVB -- it can be used for heat but the rays are pretty much really too weak after 6 months

Nathan Vanderslice

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the Solar Glo is a good bulb but distance is key and if its too far away its going to cut down on the UVB and sitting on the screen even more so-- they are good for heat -- most MVB's do no emit enough UVB for the requirements for the dragon- I would get another UVB long tube fixture if your tank is a 40 + gallon a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb its good for back up but you want the 22" Reptisun 10.0 this one is for reptiles -- or you can get a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ 12% bulb --- at this point I am thinking she is lacking UVB -- please do this right away -- placement and distance will be determined by the screen on your tank - in the mean time please get the MVB w/ no screen and get a digital probe thermometer so you can get the correct temps in the tank -- surface basking temps -- you need this -- not sure what is going on w/ the cave thing -- by the way how old is the Solar Glo? They should be changed out every 6 months or so but that is because of the UVB -- it can be used for heat but the rays are pretty much really too weak after 6 months
To clarify, the previous mvb was sitting on the frame that the screen was on and the edge of the tank. This was with NO screen. This is what gave her the uv-itis. 5.0. 10. 0 bulbs? Do I use this with or without the screen, and how far above the top of the tank for this? How often do these need to be changed? I'm going to get the Pro T5 24"

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To clarify, the previous mvb was sitting on the frame that the screen was on and the edge of the tank. This was with NO screen. This is what gave her the uv-itis. 5.0. 10. 0 bulbs? Do I use this with or without the screen, and how far above the top of the tank for this? How often do these need to be changed? I'm going to get the Pro T5 24"
Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb is a T 5 -- 5.0 bulbs are more for aquarium use but can be used as a back up BUT they must go into the tank or be unobstructed they are too weak to go thru the screen and must be replaced every 5 months for best effects - distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor ---- depending on your screen wide holed or fine mesh like a screen door the Pro T 5 and Reptisun 10.0 can sit on the tank for a wide holed 8-10 inches above the basking decor - if its in the tank 12-15 inches w/ decor directly under it - they last a year I recommend changing them out one month prior to

Nathan Vanderslice

Bearded Dragon Egg
Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb is a T 5 -- 5.0 bulbs are more for aquarium use but can be used as a back up BUT they must go into the tank or be unobstructed they are too weak to go thru the screen and must be replaced every 5 months for best effects - distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor ---- depending on your screen wide holed or fine mesh like a screen door the Pro T 5 and Reptisun 10.0 can sit on the tank for a wide holed 8-10 inches above the basking decor - if its in the tank 12-15 inches w/ decor directly under it - they last a year I recommend changing them out one month prior to
Hi. Now I'm more confused. I guess I miss understood what you were saying. Somewhere I got the idea that the "T 5" specified the type of base. I thought that the Acadia Pro T5 12% is what you were recommending. Now I have ordered that online and am committed to a fairly decent sum of money. BTW, I took the screen out last night and she already seems a bit livelier. Gave her some greens but won't really eat them. On the other hand, I put my finger on the glass of her viv and moved it around and she went after it trying to eat it. I guess she's needing some protein. so back to the lights. If I am using tube lights I need to get the ones that are "T 10",. Yes?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. Now I'm more confused. I guess I miss understood what you were saying. Somewhere I got the idea that the "T 5" specified the type of base. I thought that the Acadia Pro T5 12% is what you were recommending. Now I have ordered that online and am committed to a fairly decent sum of money. BTW, I took the screen out last night and she already seems a bit livelier. Gave her some greens but won't really eat them. On the other hand, I put my finger on the glass of her viv and moved it around and she went after it trying to eat it. I guess she's needing some protein. so back to the lights. If I am using tube lights I need to get the ones that are "T 10",. Yes?
The 12% Arcadia is a great bulb and versions of reptisuns 10.0 bulb-- the bulb T 8 is reptisuns 5.0 bulb but come in 10.0 versions as well but are not as strong as the T 5's - these T 8's that are the 10.0's come in the longer fixtures like 24"- the 18"-20" fixtures are the lower out put for uvb rays and are used mainly for smaller tanks like 20 gallon- they can be used in your 40 gallon tanks w/ lower height so if you have a 40 gallon tank w/ a 16" height you want the T 8 - the T 8' require placement in the tank w/ distance 6-8 inches- this is a must since T 8's are not as strong as the 10.0-- you need a tank height of at least 18" for a T 5 - your pro T 5 or 12% bulb is good --- I know this so confusing it took me awhile to learn this - they Arcadia bulbs like 6% bulbs 10% 7% these bulbs are like forest bulbs for different reptiles - the 10.0 bulb is for desert reptiles ex bearded dragon-- your 5.0 bulb is mainly used for aquariums- please stay w/ your 12% bulb when replacing the bulb in approx one year I recommend a month prior to- the reptisun 22" T 5 bulb will interchange w/ your fixture-- so if they are ever out of the Arcadia get that bulb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so eating greens - have you tried luring her to the salad bowl w/ bsfl or silk worms? They stick to everything

Nathan Vanderslice

Bearded Dragon Egg
The 12% Arcadia is a great bulb and versions of reptisuns 10.0 bulb-- the bulb T 8 is reptisuns 5.0 bulb but come in 10.0 versions as well but are not as strong as the T 5's - these T 8's that are the 10.0's come in the longer fixtures like 24"- the 18"-20" fixtures are the lower out put for uvb rays and are used mainly for smaller tanks like 20 gallon- they can be used in your 40 gallon tanks w/ lower height so if you have a 40 gallon tank w/ a 16" height you want the T 8 - the T 8' require placement in the tank w/ distance 6-8 inches- this is a must since T 8's are not as strong as the 10.0-- you need a tank height of at least 18" for a T 5 - your pro T 5 or 12% bulb is good --- I know this so confusing it took me awhile to learn this - they Arcadia bulbs like 6% bulbs 10% 7% these bulbs are like forest bulbs for different reptiles - the 10.0 bulb is for desert reptiles ex bearded dragon-- your 5.0 bulb is mainly used for aquariums- please stay w/ your 12% bulb when replacing the bulb in approx one year I recommend a month prior to- the reptisun 22" T 5 bulb will interchange w/ your fixture-- so if they are ever out of the Arcadia get that bulb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I'm starting to understand this. The Higher the "T" number is the lower the UV output? So you are saying that the Arcadia Pro T5 12% is the bulb I want so far as max UV output? So yes, the smaller number gives you more UVR. Here's a link that might help. It is a post from a business. https://www.reptilecymru.co.uk/how-to-choose-a-uvb-bulb-and-the-difference-between-t5-and-t8-tubes/
Look at this website Arcadia makes different strengths in bulbs -- https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/
For a tank of 18" high you want the 12% bulb for a tank of 24" high you can use the 14% bulb - I have 2 Zens w/ a height of 24" high I did use the 14% bulb w/ my distance of 17-18" directly over the basking decor - it was strapped to the top of the tank - I have been using the 12% bulbs as well as the Reptisun 10.0 T 5's which require the 12-15 inch distance - you should not use a 14% bulb if your tank is not 24" high as they are a really strong bulb --
here is some more info on the UVB https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/introduction-to-uv-lighting.3/

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your link for the difference is a good one --

Latest posts